Unable to access data on hard drive

Closed
the1wisewizard - Feb 2, 2010 at 07:13 AM
 Blocked Profile - Feb 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM
Hello,

I just built a new system using sata drives and wanted to copy the data files from my IDE drives which were working fine.

I have a USB enclosure which I loaded the prior slave drive into and copied over without issue. However, when I load my old master drive, the system doesn't recognize it.

It doesn't show in the "My computer" list as a valid drive. It does show in the disk management as a drive without a label which I understand since there is already a C drive.

It doesn't give me the option to rename it, only delete it. I have tried setting it to slave both using the enclosure and directly to the IDE connection on the MB and neither allowed me to see the drive.

Since I want and need to keep the data on the former C drive, I need to find a way to either get it to slave up and be recognized as is or be able to give it a different partition name without destroying the data on the drive so it can accessed.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Mike
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM
Hi there,

On external enclosure you need to set the jumper to master,and on the mother board if being plugged move the jumper to (cs) computer select and allow it in bios setting.

Thanks