Linksys wireless router

Closed
LB - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 8, 2010 at 04:46 PM
I've clicked on the link, but when I do what it says it either doesn't do anything or the following message comes up:

401 Unauthorized
Authorization required.

I don't remember ever setting up a username or password for it.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 4, 2010 at 01:29 PM
LinkSys Default Password

The LinkSys default password for the older routers is “admin” (remember using lower cases only). The username is blank. For newer routers, both the password and the username are set as “admin”

Resetting one’s LinkSys default password becomes especially important if you have forgotten the password that you had set before. The default password is the factory one. To restore the factory settings of your LinkSys router, hold on to the reset button on the unit for about 10 seconds or more and then release it. It’s usually that simple. You will know that the unit is ready as soon as the lights stop blinking. If you had changed the password, it will have gone by now and you may now refer to the user manual for the router to proceed further. If your router is configured as per your ISP settings, you may end up losing connection until you set up the unit again. And once you have managed to do that, it will be prudent if you could log in and reconfigure it again. This is done in order to secure the LinkSys router. For you to reconfigure the router, you need to connect it to a PC through one of its Ethernet ports, and then load a web browser, and then go to this URL: http://192.168.1.1/.
That takes you to the pop up box and you will be required to enter your password and username to log on to the router. The LinkSys default password for the older routers is “admin” (remember using lower cases only). The username is blank. For newer routers, both the password and the username are set as “admin”. And once you have gone past the login screen, it’s now possible to reconfigure the router. You will then need to go to the management tab and change the administrator password to something that will be both easy for you to remember and hard for others to guess. You will also need to enable your WAP or WEP security to curb unauthorized access to your wireless network.
Problems?

If you encounter difficulties using “admin” as the default password, and have already taken the first step of pressing the reset button on the panel of the router for 10 seconds as explained before, you could try unplugging the power for the router for a few seconds. This should do the trick.
Changing an Existing Password

If you simply want to change the password to prevent other people accessing your wireless network, you may do so using the following steps. You will first need to access the routers set up page by right clicking on the “LAN Connection” icon on the taskbar and selecting “status”. Go to the support tab and select the computer’s default gateway. Use a browser and type the default gateway. Enter your username and password. Then go to the administration tab, and then to the management tab. On the routers tab, type the desired password. On “re-enter to confirm” box, re-enter the desired password. Finish the exercise by clicking on the “Save settings” button.
where my problem occurs is after I type in my username and password it resets and makes me type it again. After the third time typing in the password a 401 authorization error comes up. I dont know if it is my computer or what because I downloaded registrybooster and it says I have 418 errors on my computer and one of the errors is preventing me from getting on Norton and trying to fix the problem. I dont know if I should buy Registry Booster to fix the errors or if that will even solve the problem or if there is another way to get past the 401 authorization problem. help appreciated:)
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 8, 2010 at 04:46 PM
"registry booster" is garbage. I doubt your "418" errors have any effect on your computer. Download CCleaner (it's free) and will clean most of the errors.
I have had 3 routers in the past 10 years. Home routers often have hardware/firmware failure and need to be replaced..

Good luck