My Computer keeps on freezing and hanging.

Closed
Ric - May 5, 2010 at 05:17 AM
 Gupps - May 5, 2010 at 06:25 AM
My computer keeps on freezing and hanging all the time.I bought new ram memories thinking that it would stop but still the problem continued.I have tried to clean and defragment all the disks but the problem is not in a place to leave.I have also tried to run with the safe mode but that seems to make the matter worse.The other thing is that i cannot even format,it just loads and the with the same same manner it hangs at a point.Now all my ideas are over,people am begging for help out here!

1 response

Hi I just came here to ask my own question but ill try and help you a bit while Im here.

You need to establish if the problem is hardware or software.

Obviously with the power turned off and capacitors discharged. Remove everything from your sytem bar the graphics card ram and hard drive and boot up. See if the problem still occurs. If it does swap the graphics card for a spare one (if you have one) and try again.

Keep adding bits back to the machine if you solve the problem until you find the component that when you add, causes the machine to freeze/hang.

If you are okay formatting your machine set it to boot from the CD drive, insert the windows CD and format/do a fresh install from here so you dont have to go through windows and cause a crash.

From personal experience 90% of issues like this stem from a bad PSU so If you can test it with a spare PSU, you know works, do so.

Check and clean your fans, reseat all your pci cards/graphics cards/ram and even motherboard.

Download Everest home and check the fan speeds and temperature of your CPU etc.

Try resetting the BIOS on your Mobo (either via a jumper or by removing the battery for an hour).

Look for swollen/capped capacitors on your mobo.

Without more info about when exactly the machine freezes I cant really suggest anything else. In most of these cases I usually end up finding its the PSU, RAM or Motherboard thats duff and 10% of the time I never manage to find the problem and have to console myself with chucking the box out of the garage window for my sanity.