My computer keeps freezing [Solved/Closed]

- - Latest reply:  linutzu - Jan 10, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Hello,

Everytime I start windows XP & log into my settings, My computer freezes & I have to go into safe mode. I have no clue why & have done numerous scans for viruses, spyware, etc. I have come up with nothing. If anyone can tell me why its doing this & how to stop it without spending money that would be awesome. I really need the help as a I am a college student & most of my work is on this computer. I can't afford it to be crashing before next semester starts.
Please reply with help ASAP.

- JAYY.
See more 

20/25 replies

Best answer
Thank you
My Toshiba Laptop Is having a similar problem. It started a few days ago where whenever I log in either normal mode or safe mode, after a period of time of opening the browser or sometimes opening nothing at all.. My computer doesnt respond and then freezes and I have to restart it by holding power button.

I have already uninstalled my main browser firefox, and I am now using Internet Explorer and the problem has not changed.

I seriously need to get this fixed, as I have not had the computer that long and need it for studying.

Any help? Thanks in Advance.

Say "Thank you" 12

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM has helped 2682 users this month

Okay mine does the same thing, I have the same exact computer and I thought it was just my computer doing this stuff I get into something really important. And it freezes and no matter how long you wait it out it never goes away I need to fix this so badly):
I have the same problem too. My computer will work fine, but if I try to watch a video or something the screen goes blank. I have a Toshiba.
Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
December 12, 2018
Thank you
IF you have the XP CD you can do a repair/install - go to this sit5e for instructions:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
computer keeps freezing?it could be a malware or conflicting programs issue.check the fix here:http://computerkeepsfreezing.net
I reinstal the windows and not 1 time for 50 times I think and still the same problem this thing is not cause only by your windows or drivers or dlls is caused also by your procesor or your motherboard if the windows dosn't start after instaling drivers you'v got a big problem and you should go check what happened to you'r PC because is caused most probably by your motherboard,videoboard,and the list continue I'v got the same problem here but I got lucky after I changed my procesor
Thank you
I had the same problem with my toshiba and it had XP what we found out later was that it was a battery/motherboard issue....Also, in MY case it was the mother board that had been fried because it kept restarting itself and wouldnt come into regular mode and would only start in safe mode....In this particular case you can reformat the drive and reinstall and that should help the problem.
Thank you
like others, mine will load up, I log in...once I click anything it freezes..i have finals next week where I have two presentations saved on my computer....perfect timing for not having a backup, eh?
Thank you
my computer is not responding when I first start it and mouse and keyboard also doesnt work.............every time I restart it then only it responds.......
this is realy an unpleasent problem a friend of mine has it and I dont have any clue or whatsoever to what might be causing this problem id realy like to help him some advice please ?
Thank you
If you aren't up to reformatting, here are a few other ideas that you can try: http://filetonic.com/blog/2010/01/14/windows-fails-to-start-after-reinstall/
Thank you
I tried reformating... Same problem... Will try power supply change then motherboard... will let you know how it turns out. Also a little tip check the caps on motherboard if the look like they are leaking or bulging their about to blow sounds like small firecracker.
Registration date
Sunday December 7, 2008
Last seen
March 25, 2011
Thank you
Do you get any messages for errors?

Repair/reinstall is never a good option, as it doesn't affect programs/files you may have which are causing the problem.
Thank you
I have this exact same problem ! except my safe mode freezes aswell ! so I have to go on safe mode with command prompt but its hard to work that...but whenever I log in and go on normal mode, when I click something it freezes and says : not repsonding. Please help, I would be so grateful, Thanks.!
Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Last seen
December 12, 2018
Thank you
Reformatting the hard drive? No, you need to re-install Windows.
Registration date
Sunday February 21, 2010
Last seen
March 1, 2010
Thank you
I think, it is because of the keyword problem. safe mode always starts when we press the enter. so first you should check your keyword.
Thank you
what can I do please
when I booting up my can
The screen write error
Thank you
Hi,

I had similar case. PC-Check said that everything is ok but everytime I connected internet or sometimes when logging on to machine freezed. I made new windows installation -> no help, then try change every part in computer to another (except motherboard) -> no help after that I tried to using IDE drive (before used sata) -> it helped, I think SATA chip broken. But I can't understand why It freezed computer especially when connected to internet. weird!
Registration date
Friday April 23, 2010
Last seen
May 4, 2010
Thank you

Thank you for Keron Chew's post. My Pc Performance is better now.

Thank you!

Thank you
I have a trick...use an external hard drive adaptator to run the infected HDD in another PC with an anti-virus up to date (ex. ESET Internet Security) by USB. Iradicate all trojans an virus. Next re-put the HDD in the PC ant boot in safe-mode. Finally, do a system restore to repair errors that virus/trojan may have do.
Thank you
mine too same response, freezes when starting up.
what I do, safe mode then restore to previous time. then repair my KIS2010 and set update to manual.
No problem till then.
Thank you
if this is a laptop mebbe u need to try using a 9cell battery and then not plugging it in until u have shut down the computer... try it with 6cell... try workin ur lappy wid the available battery and then keep it disconnected all the while....tell us whether u cud use ur lappy or not.... if this solves half ur problem...face the biggest problem.... I havent found a soln yet... chances are its a mobo issue... best of luck....
Thank you
Hi ,

with my computer it's the same.

Everytime I go on the internet it will freeze.

Then I will have to turn the switch off then open ot again. It's so annoying, can anyone help me?

It will be great pleasure!

Thanks
Thank you
I seem to have the same problem as these, switch my computer on then click internet it will come up but nothing will load then just freezes im running in safe mode too.
Thank you
am at wits end comp keep freezing all time dont know much about compsas I just play bingo be very grateful for help
1 2 Next