Hi, I have a Maxtor OneTouch 500GB external hard drive that unfortunately has no File system. The drive registers under Device Manager, but not My Computer or Disk Management, and therefore has to letter assignment.
Does anyone know how to load FAT32 onto this disk? If not, any file system will do.
If your hard drive was working before and all of a sudden it stopped being detected... you need data recovery service like the one listed below...
If this is a new hard drive and you're trying to format it for use,,,
then try this:
1. right click on "my computer", and click on "manage"
2. when "computer management" pops up, click on --> "disk management" on the left pane. --->> do not do the wizard cuz that might default to NTFS ....!!!
3. right click on the disk that's your external drive (that you want to partition and format to FAT32) -->carefull you dont choose the wrong one cuz that will destroy the contents and you'll have a bigger head ache on your hands.
4. mark partition as active
5. format to FATt32 (btw, dont make it a dynamic drive, thats for raid use)
Plug it into your computer, then go to my computer. under devices with removable storage. right click on your external hard drive and go to format then under file system scroll down to fat32 and put it the name of your hard drive and hit start. good luck!
I hope this helps you out I have just done my hard drive and this will work?
To create a new FAT32 partition or logical drive in Windows XP, follow these steps:
1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, then right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
3. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
4. In the Disk Management window, do one of the following:
o To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.
o To create a new logical drive in an extended partition, right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click New Logical Drive.
5. In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
6. Click the type of partition that you want to create (Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive), and then click Next.
7. Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
8. Assign a drive letter or drive path to your new partition or logical drive, and then click Next.
9. Click Format this partition with the following settings, and then do the following:
o Click FAT32 in the File system box.
o Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box.
If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, or specify whether you want to perform a quick format.
10. Click Next.
11. Confirm that the options that you selected are correct, and then click Finish.
The new partition or logical drive is created and appears in the appropriate basic disk in the Disk Management window.
I was able to reformat an HITACHI 500 gig external drive from my Bell 9242 PVR using disk manager by first deleting the existing partition and creating a new NTFS partition. It would seem I could have used Fat32formatter in the first place. It's formatting now. Thank You