External Hard Drive asking to be formatted

Closed
Saleemali - May 25, 2010 at 10:07 AM
 pushkar - Feb 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Hello,

Last night we had some power shortages. My external HD was plugged in but wasn't transferring data. However, when attempting to access it this morning it tells me the drive is not formatted and I need to format it before I can use it. I still have ALOT of data on there that I need.

Is there any way I can get the data back or access the drive again without using a program? I currently have 9 hours remaining on my scan of the HD to recover data, but I don't even know how effective it will be.

Thanks in advance.
Related:

2 responses

Christopher L Posts 9 Registration date Friday May 21, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2010 26
May 26, 2010 at 01:05 AM
Don't worry, Saleemali. Try another computer to see if the same situation will happen.

Without luck? maybe your external HD got kind of currupte or crashed. You have to rely on some technical help. This post may be valuable to you
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-100555-got-problem-with-my-sandisk-cruzer-usb-4gb
Blocked Profile
May 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM
HI there,

Its good you are making use off recovery tool and this process may be longer than expected and ill recommend you not to stop and let in continue.

Thanks
but as i use the recovery tool, it keeps canceling...
i don't know what to do now...
it keep asking me to format it...
there is many things in my hard-disc...
assignments, projects, and many more...
what should I do without formatting it...
Blocked Profile
Sep 17, 2010 at 10:12 AM
Hello merenous ,

After formatting you can use the recovery tool then it will recover back the removed and deleted data from the drive.

Thanks
any one plzzz tell me steps for recovering the data using ubuntu or window 7
my hdd asking for formating