Internet Connection Issue

Solved/Closed
Sycamoreken - Jun 18, 2010 at 02:41 PM
 SycamoreKen - Jul 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM
Hello,

My internet connection stops working after 5 to 10 minutes. It doesn't matter which browser I use, and it affects Yahoo Messenger and my AVG updates as well. I will be browsing and then I get the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Page" window.

When i diagnose the connection using the button, it usually says there is no problem. When I refreash the page it usually loads, works a couple times and then does not connect. Sometomes a winsock problem comes up in the diganoses and I hit fix, but that does nothing. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks in advance.

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 18, 2010 at 07:23 PM
A poor quality internet connection can be the cause of that message. You didn't state the type connection you have. If you are using a cable modem from your TV cable provider and have a number of splitters to different TVs then you might have a low quality signal to the modem.
I'm using a cable modem that has a dedicated wire from the split coming into the house. Our wireless connection runs off the same split, but our lap top on the wireless modum does fine. It started this about 5 moths ago. We have had the cable connection for over a year. Thanks for the response.
Any other ideas out there?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM
I would connect the laptop using the Ethernet cable that you use for the desktop.
1. a similar failure on the laptop would identify the cable or the router (or a specific port on the router) as the problem.
2. absence of a failure would point to the desktop hardware. You could then try a replacement network card in the desktop.

Good Luck
I got a new cable and it solved the problem! Thanks for your help!