Internet connection problem after router use

Closed
Bill - Dec 8, 2008 at 02:28 AM
 Bill - Dec 8, 2008 at 02:58 AM
Hello,

My sister bought a belkin wireless router for using my girlfriends laptop in her room while she was on holiday. It was connected through my broadband modem in my room. When my gf took her laptop home she found she couldn't connect to her internet at home. She has a standard 2mg orange broadband set up - the modem is connected to the laptop fine, we called orange and they said if the lights are flashing and it's connected right there should be no problem, but clearly there is. When i went home, i found i had the same problem! I disconnected the router and re-connected my modem but it refused to be found or to connect to the net. The software disc for my modem is ancient and i'm using vista so it wont work... my gf can't find her. I'm writing this using her dial-up connection so I need to be quick! :/

I don't have a clue about techy stuff - as i'm sure is obvious - so any help would be massively appreciated!

Cheers
Related:

2 responses

morning. this is a common problem with Vista and is linked to the way it authenticates networks. Also affected if the Orange broadband uses their box.

1. if using the Orange box make sure you press the 'connect' button on the router
2. remove any other networks from the 'preferred networks' in wireless connections
3. try again
4. if that fails, then create manual new wireless network giving it the ocrrect name and putting in the password for security

there is a registry change which will help this problem, but I won't give it as making a mistake will be costly.

hope this helps
Phil
Thanks Phil.

I mustn't be making myself clear - I am no good at this! I'm at my girlfriends house. The router is at mine. All i've got here is an orange speedtouch modem. I've disabled all wireless connections as we don't have one here. The modem settings are fine, it's connected and sychronized but it wont connect to the internet using our broadband connection.

I've set up a dial-up connection through the modem using our landline number.

Thanks again.