Help with my new hard drive

Closed
Ashleigh - Sep 4, 2010 at 06:48 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Sep 12, 2010 at 05:38 PM
Hello, I've just brought a new external hard drive because my laptop was running out of space. I think I've transferred most of my data on to my external hard drive but It's still on my laptop when I take the hard drive out. So I'm not sure if I can manually delete the data that's on my computer still. Can I do that or will I lose all my data?
Please help thanks ashleigh

Related:

3 responses

anything20022 Posts 5 Registration date Saturday September 4, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 4, 2010
Sep 4, 2010 at 08:03 PM
Is your External Hard drive, A USB Hard drive?

If you plug in your hard drive, Go into my computer, Double click on your external Harddrive. Now this folder is open for your hard drive, Minimize that.

Now on your laptop, Find the files and folders you would like to copy over to the external hard drive. Select them, Right click, Copy.

Now bring back up your External hard drive, Right click inside it & Paste.

This will now begin copying all your files and folders over.

Do this untill you have everything you want copied over.

If you see everything is appearing in the External hard drive. Then you should be safe to delete of your Laptops Hard drive :)
Yes it's a USB external hard drive. I'm still slightly confused. Is backing up my data the same as storing my data? Because there's something called migration I'm not sure what that is! And does it take a really long time 2 save all my data the first time around?
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Sep 12, 2010 at 05:38 PM
Hello,
If you have copied all your important data from laptop to the external hard drive, then you can delete it from your laptop. The time required to copy all your data depends on the size and moreover it won't shows you the
exact time, as the time increase and decrease. Just wait until the copy process gets completed.
Good Luck.