Computer freezing

Closed
ottobear - Oct 11, 2010 at 01:54 PM
anuj2addy Posts 12 Registration date Monday October 11, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2010 - Oct 11, 2010 at 02:01 PM
Hello,
I have a laptop with Vista 64 bit OS and when I start the computer it takes forever
to boot up. Then in 1 min. it freezes. I ran scans in Safe Mode and no viruses found.
I also have only the essential programs in start up menu.
Any assistance is most appreciated.
Thanks

1 response

anuj2addy Posts 12 Registration date Monday October 11, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2010 1
Oct 11, 2010 at 02:01 PM
Hi dere,
As you have mentioned that the system takes time to boot and then it freezes. In this case first of all we need to make sure that if the software is the cause or not. So for that what I would say is please clear up some startup items by going into MSCONFIG and also delete the TEMP and the PREFETCH files and then try to turn the system on.

Otherwise if the problem has started since a week or so the best option you can try is you can perform the ssytem restore on the system i.e restoring the system to some previous date. However, I would also like to tell you that after performing the system restore, the date to which you have restored the system, all the softwares that you have downloaded till date from that date will be lost however, the text files will not lost.
Still I would recommend to please backup all the data from the data from the system before performing system restore