My laptop says I have no audio device

Solved/Closed
danny - Apr 19, 2008 at 05:41 AM
 Anon - Mar 16, 2019 at 06:23 PM
Hi,
I followed other peoples advice on different forums but none of them fixed/matched my problem,
the little speaker icon in the bottom corner says I have no audio device installed.
So I went onto device manager and it says I do, this confused me, I tried disabling and enabling it, did not work.
Now I'm stuck for what to do please help me.
Related:

50 responses

hi, am running vista pro on a sony vaio laptop.

i downloaded firefox 3 a couple of weeks ago, and since then there's been no sound. external programs like vlc mediaplayer and itunes produce sound, but nothing on any web browser (safari, ie, or firefox make sound for anything such as youtube. thought it was a flash problem, so updated drivers for flash, no luck). have just bought a language program to teach myself spanish and it won't load because it says there is no output audio device.

this despite checking in the device manager and my output device working ok, nothing being muted on the volume mixer etc.

yours irritatedly...
hi there this is gonna sound very silly but my comp had that little red x in the right hand corner bla bla wasnt playing music my itunes was syaing no playback and no websites or anythign made sounds but I plugged my speakers into the green jack on the back of my comp and the sound was back some one must have unplugged them and put them back in the wrong whole worth a check!!
Ok I solved it just in case anyone wondered, unistall your speaker audio, then go download the same sound card (if you want the same audio) then after your laptop restarting about 2-3 times you've got your sound back! If you have what I have, realtek HD, and vista, re-install the right thing then click on setup and re-install the whole download and all the other stuff process takes round about 1h-1h30.
Anonymous User
Jun 24, 2008 at 11:22 AM
This happened to me once before and I just had the exact same problem this morning. Sound quit in the middle of listening to music with Media Player. I got the same "No audio device installed" messages, and everything looking normal in Device Manager. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY A NEW SOUND CARD OR UNINSTALL YOUR AUDIO DEVICE. Simply restarted my computer and it worked. Might take a couple restarts for some people, but this should fix it. Otherwise it's not the same problem. Hope this saves a lot of people a lot of trouble!

I'm not sure yet if it's a problem with the device itself, with the driver, or if it's just one more Windows flaw (sounds like everyone with this problem is using XP or Vista). I am running XP on a Dell B130 laptop, and my device manager lists:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Video Codecs
under Sound, video and game controllers. Do other people with this problem have any of the same audio devices listed here? Or does anyone have any reasonable idea of what else it might be?
kristy > Anonymous User
Jul 5, 2008 at 09:19 PM
can you give me instructions on fixing my sound device like you did?
4love Posts 2 Registration date Sunday July 6, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2008 > kristy
Jul 6, 2008 at 09:16 PM
Dear Sir ,

I would like to apply through this medium for your co-operation and to secure an opportunity to invest and do joint business with you in your country.Anyway, I have a substantial capital I intend to invest in your country into a very lucrative business venture of which you are to advise and execute the said venture over there for the mutual benefits of both of us.

Your able co-operation is to become my guardian in your country and create ideas on how money will be invested,properly managed and the type of investment after the money is transferred over to your custody with your help and assistance through diplomatic means.

on indication of your willingness to handle this transaction sincerely by protecting our interests and upon your acceptance of this proposal,I will furnish you with the full information, procedure,amount involve and mutually agree on your percentage interest or share holding for helping me to secure the transfer of my deposit and investing the money in your country under your proper management and care.

I will be glad to reserve this respect and opportunity for you,if you so desire and give the matter your immediate attention it deserves.

If this proposal is acceptable by you and you are interested in my offer, please do not make undue advantage of the trust I bestow on you,and your urgent reply is highly needed today,for more informations and oral talks.Please,include your direct mobile phone number when replying.I will tell you more about myself when I hear from you.

Thanking you with regards, mscycya@yahoo.co.in

Mr Traore Keita.
Anonymous User > kristy
Jul 8, 2008 at 11:53 AM
All I did was restart my computer, not buy a sound card or reinstall my audio driver like some people have said. So try restarting first, if you haven't yet.

If that doesn't help, can you tell me more about the problem? See if you can open volume control on the task bar, check the devices listed under the Hardware tab of the Sound and Audio Devices window from Control Panel, and tell me if you've changed anything major since it was working (e.g. reinstalling windows, replacing your speakers, updating the driver, etc).
cc > Anonymous User
Jul 18, 2008 at 02:21 PM
Heyy,
I Have The Same Problem :/
The Volume Icon On The Bottom Toolbar Has A Small Red 'X' Next To It And It Says That No Audio Devices Are Installed. This Has Caused Myy iTunes,And All Other Sounds To Not Work.
Can You Help?
And Also, Do You Know How To Identify Which Sound Card You Have In Your Laptop?
Thankss
Alrite.. as a guy who resets his Dell laptop 3 times a year this is not a problem to worry about.

Simply visit dell.com and when u scroll down on the home page simply click on download drivers. Once there they have a very easy system to help u understand what drivers u need to ur specific model.

Usually for a sound problem it is simply a matter of downloading the Sigmatel driver for free from dell.com and in less than 5 minutes u will have sound.

Try it out. The best place for all answers is the manufacturers site. Professionals assisting u with their brand.

visit my site too www.maakadoodh.com

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Just a word of caution to anyone like me who decided to make some room on my modest sized HD by removing unused programs like itunes. Apparently when deleting it or the itunes assistant for mobile devices it also removed the driver for my sound card. Re-booting didn't do the trick either. I was fortunate to recover it by utilizing my recovery back-up program. It still took a lot of time to reorganize everything again so from now on I'll just disable itunes and leave it be!
my dell xp home addition dosent have sound from the factory that is like buying a tv with no sound
if u have an Hp do what "HP guy" says. It worked for ME!!! THANKS A BILLION!!! --search device manager-sound audio and games, click update drivers--
if u have an Hp do what "HP guy" says. It worked for ME!!! THANKS A BILLION!!! --search device manager-sound audio and games, click update drivers--
When you re-install an o/system it causes windows to use general drivers for your cards and hardware. Most of your hardware should be plug and play but some of your hardware needs specific drivers to work properly. This causes alot of p.c's not to work properly after a re-install as your new version of windows isn't recognizing some of your hardware anymore and/or is not running it properly. This can also happen if in-correct drivers are installed or old drivers are rolled back. Windows is basically using the wrong information to run the hardware, so the hardware doen't work as it should.

Your computer's operating system only knows whats on its memory or whats installed. Windows will only know how to use the hardware it has installed in its system again, when it has the correct drivers to work them installed. In basic terms these drivers are like knowledge on how the cards work properly to an artificial brain.

The best thing to do is update your drivers from the websites of either the people who either made your computer or the makers of the actual card. You'll need the model number of your machine (if using the p.c manufacterors website) and know what soundcard your using (make and model). Use device manager through the add hardware option in control panel as directed above or download a program to help find all your information for you (i used one made by iobit.) write down all this info and search the sites for the software you need.
If not use google to help seach for drivers just type in the model and make into the seach engine plus the word driver and a whole load of information should pop up, alot of it garbage!

Just steer clear of programs wanting to update your drivers for you for a small fee like driver doctor etc. (unless you want to pay and use their servce its up to you! but you can usually find a free alternative by looking harder or searching!)
IF YOUR SOUNDCARD IS INTERGRATED INTO YOUR MOTHERBOARD, DOWNLOAD THE MOTHERBOADS DRIVER!!!

IF ALL ELSE FAILS IT MAY BE FAULTY OR NOT INSERTED CORRECTLY INTO ITS SLOT PLEASE CHECK IT!!!!
My lenovo 3000 C200 xp professional had a virus but we fixed it with an XP home edition CD. But the sound don't work, I know the speakers are built in and the computer says it is working fine but When I go to change volume or speaker setup it says I havn't got any speakers connected. What can I do?
helllo there, I also have a problem with the sound on my laptop.
I have looked at the previous comments and there are a few that have matched my problem, but there haven't been any solutions to those particular ones.
I will try to be as specific as I can; I was deleting various things on add/remove programes I accidentaly deleted the audio device. As a result I cannot hear anything, and have no idea how to reinstall it.
When I go to sound and audio properties then to the hardware tab I have got the following;
Audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, media control devices, legacy video capture devices and video codecs.
Device properties manufactuer (standard system devices). Location unknown. Device status, this device is working properly. But the fact is that this device is not working preoperly.
My laptop is a fujitsu simens, intel celeron M processor and windows XP.
Please if you have any idea how to help, I would greatly appreciate it. :) PLEASE ! ! ! ! ! !
OMG I just did the same thing :O I tried uninstalling my webcam and uninstalled it, have you got yours bak?? If you have can you please tell me how you did it bcuz my dad will kill me if he found out what I have done!! Thankx Steph xox
Hi how did you solve your problem? Cause I did exactly the same thing, if so, how did you do it, thanks!
hello
thanks very much, it worked all I did was open my device manager and updated it then everything stated working properly.

thanks again
You can't update the audio device if it isn't being detected, and everyone who keeps saying to reformat your pc, that doesn't work either nor will installing a new os because the hardware in your pc or laptop remains the same..... in some cases the only thing to do is replace the outdated hardware.
i had the same problems with no audio device installed coming up on my laptop. here is what I did to fix the problem. I went to device manager and \from there to sounds,game controllers and clicked update drivers and it worked after that.. good luck
hey I unplugged my speakers from my cpu and then plugged it back in just to neat up some wires, after doing that I am seeing my speaker icon on the task bar with a red "x" on it an its saying no audio output found.....i am using realtek high definition audio, I update the drivers through device manager and restarted a couple times and that did not work, please help!
DreamBig Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday October 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 8, 2009
Oct 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Woodbine said, "But when you get the red cross you dont have sound video and game controllers listed in device manager the lot dissapears,sound some times comes back on after a restart but goes again after a random time. 1 or 2 hours and also goes from device manager."

I agree with woodbine, I am having exactly the same problem, what do I do.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6500 notebook PC
It uses SmartAudio Conexant System

Please I am dying for an answer. It's quite a long time since heard music from my system
I have an HP Pavilion 6700 with Vista 32 bit and I'm having the same problem, were you able to resolve your issue? I need help too, I'm supposed to be studying but my laptop is malfunctioning I really need sound.
I have an HP Pavilion 6700 with Vista OS, were you able to resolve your issue? Please help me.
I have windows XP and I had to system restore my OS. Prior to doing that I really messed things up by being delete happy and thinking I knew what I was doing. ok so I had the problem where I had no sound and it said that I didnt have any detections of sound devices on my pc. This is what I did... first I checked the device manager to see what was not working..you get there by going to start and then right clicking on your MYCOMPUTER you will see PROPERTIES right click on it...find HARDWARE click on it you will see DEVICE MANAGER click on it ...once I did that I saw a bunch of drivers with yellow ? or a ! sign by it located under unknown devices.....so heres what I did ...click on one at at time and you will see a REINSTALL DRIVER click on it .. it wont reinstall unless u have the recovery cd or the written info already in a desinated location. so I had the recovery backup cd s that I made when I first bought my computer...most people should have those. you can also search the web for these drivers on the web but anyway I put the first recovery cd in and clicked on the reinstall from the device manager page and it automatically found the driver on the cd and installed..i had to use some of the other recovery cd s to recover some other lost drivers I had.. but this should work if you had the same problem as I did. Note: backup cd s my vary if it doesnt find the driver on the first cd try the 2nd cd and retry the process till it find the drivers to download.Hope that all made sense and that it works for u guys!
Google KB835221. Actually, if you downloaded the driver package from dell look in \R12**\HDAQFE\win2k_xp\us and you will see teh file there. Just run the kb file and magical things will happen.

"This is a Microsoft Corporation QFE (KB835221) update to support the UAA bus driver for HD audio. The UAA bus driver is not included on the current Windows XP installation CD. If you reinstall Windows XP, this driver update will be needed, in addition to HD audio driver from the core driver package."
I have an IBM Laptop with Windows XP and in the Sounds and Audio Devices, it says "NO AUDIO DEVICE". And that "Driver is either missing or corrupted (Error 39)". I can't locate the gray volume icon on my taskbar. And I've searched as best as I could for a possible answer. This happened after a virus attacked my computer and I used Malwarebytes AntiMalware Program to delete the virus. Could someone please help me?
what is the best solution if the audio of the laptop doesnt work and I already install the driver...?