Hard Drive problems

Closed
Daniel - Dec 13, 2010 at 05:58 PM
 Daniel - Dec 13, 2010 at 06:11 PM
Hello,
I have a computer that's about 6 years old it has windows xp and new hard drive that I got last year. Recently the internal battery died and I got the blue error screen so I replaced the battery, I still got the blue screen with a message I got the first time I saw the blue screen something about a problem with drive 0, the hard drive. Please, Now is it possible to back-up all the files or at least the important ones on the laptop that's running widows vista by connecting a usb cable that runs from the laptop to the computer tower, also will I have to wipe the hard drive or get a new one? should that fix my problem? If it's important I get the blue screen if I go on any version of the safe mode.

Thanks for any help.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 13, 2010 at 06:05 PM
You can't use a USB cable between the computers if one of them will not boot.

You can buy a USB External Hard Drive enclosure that will adapt the hard drive so it can be used as a external drive on the laptop. This will work only if the hard drive is not broken. You might buy the adapter at a PC repair shop and have them install it. Tell them you only want to buy the drive if the adapter works.

Good Luck
lets say I can't get one of those at the moment. Please, tell me if there is another way to fix the problem without wiping the hard drive or buying a new one? I honestly know more about windows 98 then I do about XP. I use to mess around with windows 98 when I was a kid.