Toshiba NB100 Black screen

Solved/Closed
Mike - Mar 5, 2011 at 06:14 AM
Marmotzell Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday August 14, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2013 - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Hello,
My Toshiba NB100 (windows xp) suddenly has blue screen. I restart the laptop, it's power and battery lights are on, and the fan is working. But the screen is black, nothing display. I have restarted few times but same result?Is the processor and window work or what's the caused and how to solve?
Thanks

Related:

11 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 5, 2011 at 06:41 AM
Hello Mike

Please try the following two methods:

1. From the black screen, alt+ctrl+del Click on task, new task and type explorer.exe. If you do not get explorer,

2. Turn off your system, remove the battery, plug the cable, press the power button for about 60 seconds.

Good luck
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Mar 5, 2011 at 04:48 PM
Hello Mike,

As far as I am concerned, it's either a fried graphic card or toasted screen but most likely the card. The blue screen you got is indicative but I wish we could have got the blue screen error code.

Did you ever get the Windows start sound?
unfortunately I didn't get the error code. Didn't get windows start sound. Only fan's sound is heard.
Mar 7, 2011 at 07:06 AM
Hello Mike,

This what Jack4rall replied to me

"Bluescreen is caused by a compatibility problem of software or hardware.

It is also the indication of having some problem with some device.

If the black screen appears after the logo of the motherboard brand name then

may be there is a problem with the HDD or with the OS.

You are right my friend. First we need to check the RAM. "
Got same problem with a Toshiba that was running Windows 7. Black screen but fan working and power light comes on. Will try and action solutions. Cheapest fix first. Will let you know outcome

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Mar 6, 2011 at 06:19 AM
@djsmurf

It was a very good idea to connect to an external monitor.

If there is no signal and also that we don't have the Windows' jingle, the problem is much more serious.

There is also no response with F8, alt+f10 and alt+ctrl+del, what is your diagnostic.

@Mike

Did you do anything with your win before the problem occured? Did you partition?

You may have a ram issue that should be checked.

If it's not ram, it's not only a graphic card problem but a mummyboard.

Let wait and see what djsmurf has to say.
I've tried all methods that you guys told me but didn't work. I didn't do or change anything to it. It went to blue screen right after I completely installed and setup a new modem router. My another Toshiba laptop and Apple ipad were working fine. I think I've to bring it to computer shop to check up the ram. If it is the motherboard problem, it is not worth to replace the motherboard. Am I right?
Mar 2, 2012 at 04:07 PM
@ello

Thank you for your feedback and solution.

Have a great day
I power on the laptop and the fan is working. I press alt+ctrl+del, but noting happen. I also tried method no. 2 but the screen is black while the power is on and fan is working. Any other solution please, thanks.
Ambucias,

Do you think is the graphic card fried?
djsmurf Posts 98 Registration date Friday January 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 30, 2011 19
Mar 5, 2011 at 07:05 PM
Does he have an external screen he could connect to bypass the laptop screen could help to figure out if its the card or the screen.
Connect to external screen but no signal detected.
Mar 7, 2011 at 04:57 AM
Hello Mike

Yes, please have the RAM checked. If it's a ram problem, a new motherboard will not be necessary.

I am not familiar with Toshiba's belly. But to you have access to ram sticks? If you do, you can remove them one at a time and test them, as long as the stick to be tested is alway in the primary slot.

Yet I wonder if the router installation has anything to do with this. I will inquire.
Fixed it. LCD cable to screen was problem. It sits inside a silver jacket on circuit board. If a fraction adrift the computer will play up to seem dead. Cable easy to dislodge while fliping open screen.
Remove power supply.. Disconnect screen cable and reconnect. Connect power supply. Try power on.
Do this several times as the alignment needs to be spot on.
Marmotzell Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday August 14, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 14, 2013
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Hy. If anyone ever deals with this problem again, this is what happened to me. I've opened the entire laptop to vacuum clean it. After I put it back together, step by step, turn it on -- No image, but it was running (the cooling fan was working). Now, here is the trick. Only the POWER and BATTERY led indicators, were on, HDD, and WiFi weren't. After a few research, most tracks led to a misplacement of the RAM card... which was TRUE.
So, in conclusion, if you ever pull out the RAM card out of it socket, make SURE to put it back in the CORRECT place, so to push it to the end of it's soket, and then, power your laptop.
Hope it will be usefull. Cheers.