Hard Drive reformatting

Closed
Dennis - May 14, 2011 at 08:16 PM
 techaddict - May 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM
Hello,
I have been using my external hard drive on my computer for awhile. Today, out of the blue, I plugged in the USB connector and my computer said that I "need to format the disk drive before I can use it". It currently does not recognize any data on the drive. Its impossible that I deleted the data and I am worried that reformatting it will erase everything I have on it. How can I fix the problem and restore my data? Could it just be a problem with the casing and not the actual drive?

Thank you Very much for your thoughts,
Dennis

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Whenever a hard drive can't be read by the computer the OS defaults to the "format message".. I suspect the drive has failed.
This just happened to me and I finally fixed it. Go to www.easeus.com and download their freeware data recovery software. The scan/repair took a few hours, but was easy and recovered 100% of my data.

My external hard drive was a Seagate. First I emailed them and they wanted me to purchase their recovery software for $99. No way was I going to pay that for a "fix" that I didn't feel I had caused.