Help! HP laptop won't start up [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello,

My HP laptop just shut down while I was using it and now it shows the windows starting but then it goes to a black screen with nothing but a blinking underscore in the top left corner! I really need this laptop for school work.

What can I do? I also tried pressing F8 or F12, an stuff nothing worked except F2 and that only says startup check on the bottom, then goes to a page with system info.

Startup test run in test system tuneup hard disk test memory and test battery. Test error log and exit.

I don't know much about computers.

So I have no clue what to do, please help !
See more 

3 replies

Best answer
approved by Ratnendra Ashok on Jan 3, 2019
Thank you
Hi,

My roommate's Pavilion 7000 DF871AV was not starting. This is the first thread I read. Tried the steps below and it worked:
  • Unplug power cord
  • Take out battery
  • Hold down power button slow count to 30 and then let go.
  • Plug power cord in (leave battery out at this point) push power button.
  • When screen comes on pick "Last Known Good start up" worded something like that. All should return to normal. You should lose nothing. Let everything start back up like normal
  • Shut down computer as normal
  • Start back up as normal if all goes well it should start up as it always did.

Good luck!

Say "Thank you" 55

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2617 users have said thank you to us this month

Wow it worked . Thank u so much . I was freaking out
i have linux 13.04 but am facing the same problem.
Thank you so much! Worked great. You saved me!!
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
April 12, 2019
Thank you
Dear Me (or is it dear you?)

Have you tried this?

To determine if the HP Recovery Manager is operational, press the power switch to turn on the computer, and then repeatedly press f11 during the startup. If the Recovery Manager is operational, the computer will display a prompt to either (1) recover the operating system from files stored on the recovery partition, or (2) create a set of recovery discs which does not require the purchase of a replacement recovery disc.

If you need to purchase the disks, you will find all the information you want on this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4307222&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N29

Best of luck to you.

P.S. @kieferschild thank you.
Also, if I do take it to a place, will everything be deleted from my laptop???
I don't see why my other comment isn't showing on my phone. But I said that nothing happened when I did that and that I couldn't see anything on the bottom of the laptop just a sticker and I can't make out what it says at all really. But thanks for the help!
OMG!!!!!You saved my life and my marriage. Daughters pc crashed and shes out of town. Husband freaked out, thinking it would cost hundreds. Several geeks looked at it today. Told me it was done and gone! Thank you thank you thank you
amazing ty ty ty
F11 does not work, still nothing happens - power light is on and fans make noise that's it
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
April 12, 2019
Thank you
Do you get anything by pressing

alt+ctrl+del ?
All at once? I tried and nothing happened but when I press f10 it takes me to something called bios setup options? What is that and anything I can do there? Or anywhere else??????