Restore factory setting on Toshiba m105 s3004

Closed
PhxMusicTeacher Posts 4 Registration date Friday July 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2012 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM
PhxMusicTeacher Posts 4 Registration date Friday July 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2012 - Jul 6, 2012 at 09:45 PM
Hello,

I have a Toshiba m105 s3004 and wish to completely restore it to factory settings.

I have tried two different approaches;

1st I tried this method found at https://ccm.net/faq/4811-restore-toshiba-laptop-to-factory-settings :
1) Hold down the power button for ten seconds to switch off your machine
Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.
2) Press and hold the zero key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook
3) When the machine starts beeping, release the zero key
4) When prompted by the warning screen, select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

this didn't work; there was no warning prompt, only a single cursor.

My 2nd approach was to create a recovery disk using the " Recovery Disk Creator" program. The Toshiba site had me search my files for " Recovery Media Creator utility". (https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2753749&pf=true
I successfully burned the "express media player recovery CD". The only option the program offers.

"media player"? Well; the program said the burn was successful. I was under the impression that there were to be more than one disk. The Toshiba site referred to "sets" of discs, but that's how it came out...

So How do I use this disk? Or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks in advance.

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 6, 2012 at 06:08 PM
I assume you need to set the laptop to boot from the CD/DVD drive. If Toshiba doesn't have a dedicated PF key to change the boot device then you can use F2, right after you power on the computer, to get into the BIOS. The BIOS should allow you to change the "boot order" so the PC boots from the optical drive before it it tries the hard disk. (just be sure to change it back after your restore).

The "media player" reference is probably a botched translation.
When I last burned recovery media for an HP laptop I used 3 DVD's. But, that was a Vista machine. Perhaps an XP computer can fit on a single DVD.

Good Luck
PhxMusicTeacher Posts 4 Registration date Friday July 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2012
Jul 6, 2012 at 06:55 PM
OK so I had no problem going into the bios to set the laptop to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

So then I started it up and everything looked and acted the same (no problems just the same)

The disk that was created has two folders: "doc" and "system". I cannot find an .exe file anywhere on the disk.

So; I still don't really know how to use this disk or get it started. If anyone knows how to use the Recovery Disk I burned from the Recover Disk Creator that'd be a big help.

I do also have a windows 7 Pro disk that I purchased and used to build the computer I currently use. Can I just insert that disk? The requirements seem to work.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 6, 2012 at 08:23 PM
So it would seem that the optical disk is not bootable and the computer moved on to boot from the hard disk.

The COA serial/code on the bottom of the laptop is OEM and will not work with a retail copy of Win7.
PhxMusicTeacher Posts 4 Registration date Friday July 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2012
Jul 6, 2012 at 07:22 PM
BTW for the best in music lessons visit https://phoenixmusiclessons.com/
Jul 6, 2012 at 09:45 PM
OK.

So back to square 1;

How do I Restore factory settings on Toshiba m105 s3004 ?