Connected, no Internet, and no antivirus HELP

Closed
Soldiercorp Posts 1 Registration date Friday August 31, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 31, 2012 - Aug 31, 2012 at 09:54 PM
lynx41 Posts 3 Registration date Friday August 31, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 31, 2012 - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Hello,

I have recently moved and when I had the Internet service turned back on everything works great on all the other devices in the house, besides on my desktop. It says I am connected to the Internet through wireless, but I can't pull up any information from the Internet or update anything. Thinking this might be work of a virus I downloaded the .exe file from my phone and transferred it to my PC. Since I don't have Internet I could not complete the install package due to not having Internet hooked up. I tried to connect my PC to the router through Ethernet cable and the same thing happened. Is this the cause of a virus? I have checked various websites and none have proved to be helpful. Maybe I can list what I have done.

I have tried both wired and wireless connections, but didn't get any Internet.
I have checked my hard drive with malwarebytes and adware programs, in which case they show nothing.
I have pulled my hard drive out and plugged it up to my laptop as a external to run a virus scan, in which case nothing showed up, but my laptop started to have viruses pop up on it and in its windows folder. Yikes!
I have ran in safe mode with networking to check the connection, same deal. There is a connection just no Internet.
Checked the activity of the connection. 1000+ packets sent, only 3 recieved.

Anyone have any ideas? Please help!

1 response

lynx41 Posts 3 Registration date Friday August 31, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Tech Support 101:

1- Turn off wireless router
2- Turn off cable modem
3- Turn off computer
4- Disconnect your wireless router from computer and hook computer up straight to the cable modem.
5- Turn Cable modem on with connection plugged into your computer, but don't turn on computer yet. Now, call cable company and ask them to confirm that they can see your cable modem online and that you have an internet connection. You may have to give them your cable modem serial number.
6-They will ask you then to turn on your computer
7-Once you get it up and running, they will tell you to go to start/run and
type in ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. Also do ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /renew.
8- Now try to open your browser and see if you have a connection. If not, the tech support team will guide you from there. If so, then proceed to hook computer up to router and turn it on.

Good luck, friend

Lynx