External HDD with raw corrupted file maybe due to overwriting

Closed
sassy_angel Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 7, 2012 - Nov 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM
sassy_angel Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 7, 2012 - Nov 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Hey guys, I have a corrupted external hdd. Mine is a Transcend storejet 500gb external hdd. There's a backup button outside the hard drive which my nephew pressed. The storage left before he pressed that button was around 20gb. So I thought maybe after he pressed the button it overwritten my files hence the raw data output. And every time i connect my external hdd to my laptop, MyComputer freezes and the name Transcend (as its driver's name) is changed to Local drive. I've already did 'marked partition as active' but i haven't formatted it yet.

My question is, do I have to backup this corrupted drive? Because I don't have another spare of spacious drive. And If I don't when I format it, do the files are still gonna be there?? or another recovery must be done??

PLS HELLLPPPP...sooo desperate here. :(((
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 6, 2012 at 02:13 PM
If you format the drive then the data can't be found afterword.
sassy_angel Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday November 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 7, 2012
Nov 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Hey xpcman...

I figured that out that's why I haven't formatted it yet. I stumbled this post before I shared my problem..

https://ccm.net/forum/affich-35495-external-hard-drive-with-no-file-system

so I thought that if I just follow all the instructions nickNYC stated, I can still get my files after formatting. That's where I'm stuck at. It's like I'm torn between getting my HDD back to working mode and saving the files which are saved there...

any thoughts?