Shortcuts instead of folders

Closed
andrewukie Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 8, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 8, 2012 - Nov 8, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Nov 8, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Hi,

I am having problems with my USB drive. I copy any folders on it and it shows as shortcuts instead of folders. I have Microsoft Security Essential, but it doesn't seem like detecting a virus. I tried CMD commands, but doesn't work. Please help

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Nov 8, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Hello,

If you did not format your flash drive, then check whether the files are not in

hidden mode. Follow the following steps.

Step 1:

Click on the below link and download the file "AutorunExterminator"

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/5911-autorun-exterminator/

Extract it --> Double-click on "AutorunExterminator" --> Plug your pendrive now.

This will remove the autorun.inf files from your pendrive and also from drives.

Step 2:

Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your pen drive letter as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Don't forget to replace the letter g with your pen drive letter.

Now press "Enter".

Now check for your files in Pen Drive.

Step 3:

After that, download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the below link

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Update it --> Perform "Full Scan"

Note : Default selected option is "Quick Scan".

Good Luck.
andrewukie Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 8, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 8, 2012
Nov 8, 2012 at 03:50 PM
I did that already, it still doing it :(
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Nov 8, 2012 at 04:05 PM
Normally this type if issue is caused by a USB virus. It will spread to all of your USB memory devices and harddisk.

Here is a tool to remove the virus and vaccinate your USB against further viruses.

The download site is in French but the tool will work in any language, just follow my instructions and all will be fine.

(You system may also be infected by other viruses)

Download UsbFix (créé par El Desaparecido) on your desktop.

At the bottom of the page, click on "Télécharger" (means download)

? If your antivirus gives an alert, ignore it and temporarily deactivate the antivirus.
? Plug in your usb devices (clé USB, disque dur externe, etc...) don't open them.
? Double click sur UsbFix.exe.

? Click on Suppression.
? Let the tool work.

? At the end of the scan a report will show which you can copy and paste here..

? The report is save at the root ( C:\UsbFix.txt ).

Good luck and let me know.
Nov 8, 2012 at 04:06 PM
Here is the hyper link:

http://eldesaparecido.com/usbfix.html
andrewukie Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 8, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 8, 2012
Nov 8, 2012 at 04:50 PM
I just did it and it looks like it removed everything. If I copied all those folders to different USBs, do I have to do the same to all of them individually?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Nov 8, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Actually, all usb memory devices that you used on the computer while you had the infection could be infected.

When running USBFix, all memory devices should and can be connected at the same time, especially if the folders you copied are showing as folders. If they are not showing as folders, they may be clean.

Best regards

P.S. Beware before you plug into someone else's machine. Ensure it's virus free.