Command Prompt was a Microsoft-supplied command line interpreter and is called MS-DOS Prompt on Windows 9x systems. (It has since been replaced by PowerShell. This article presents a command prompt list for Windows, such as those in Control Panel, Windows Utility and Applications, Disk Management, and Connection Management. It also includes a list of miscellaneous commands. Here is a list of commands you can use under Microsoft Windows, arranged by function.
The article, which features the screenshot of the Run tab, maintains that some of the commands will not run under Windows XP. In Windows Vista, the Run tab is not found in the startup menu, and Windows Vista-specific commands are omitted.
CONTROL opens the control panel window.
CONTROL ADMINTOOLS opens the administrative tools.
CONTROL KEYBOARD opens keyboard properties.
CONTROL COLOUR opens display properties with the appearance tab.
CONTROL FOLDERS opens folder options.
CONTROL FONTS opens font policy management.
CONTROL INTERNATIONAL or INTL.CPL opens the regional and language option.
CONTROL MOUSE or MAIN.CPL opens mouse properties.
CONTROL USERPASSWORDS opens user accounts editor.
CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 or NETPLWIZ user account access restrictions.
CONTROL PRINTERS opens available faxes and printers.
APPWIZ.CPL opens the add or remove programs utility tool.
OPTIONALFEATURES opens the add or remove windows component utility.
DESK.CPL opens display properties with the themes tab.
HDWWIZ.CPL opens add hardware wizard.
IRPROPS.CPL infrared utility tool.
JOY.CP opens game controllers settings.
MMSYS.CPL opens sound and audio device properties with the volume tab.
SYSDM.CPL opens system properties.
TELEPHON.CPL opens phone and modem options.
TIMEDATE.CPL date and time properties.
WSCUI.CPL opens Windows Security Center.
ACCESS.CPL opens accessibility options.
WUAUCPL.CPL opens automatic updates.
POWERCFG.CPL opens power options properties.
AZMAN.MSC opens authorisation management utility tool.
CERTMGR.MSC opens certificate management tool.
COMPMGMT.MSC opens the computer management tool.
COMEXP.MSC or DCOMCNFG opens the computer services management tool.
DEVMGMT.MSC opens device manager.
EVENTVWR or EVENTVWR.MSC opens event viewer.
FSMGMT.MSC opens shared folders.
NAPCLCFG.MSC NAP client configuration utility tool.
SERVICES.MSC opens service manager.
TASKSCHD.MSC or CONTROL SCHEDTASKS opens schedule tasks manager.
GPEDIT.MSC opens group policy utility tool.
LUSRMGR.MSC opens local users and groups.
SECPOL.MSC opens local security settings.
CIADV.MSC opens indexing service.
NTMSMGR.MSC removable storage manager.
NTMSOPRQ.MSC removable storage operator requests.
WMIMGMT.MSC opens (WMI) Window Management Instrumentation.
PERFMON or PERFMON.MSC opens the performance monitor.
MMC opens empty console.
MDSCHED opens memory diagnostics tools.
DXDIAG opens DirectX diagnostics tools.
ODBCAD32 opens ODBC data source administrator.
REGEDIT or REGEDT32 opens registry editor.
DRWTSN32 opens Dr. Watson.
VERIFIER opens driver verifier manager.
CLICONFG opens SQL server client network utility.
UTILMAN opens utility manager.
COLORCPL opens color management.
CREDWIZ back up and recovery tool for user passwords.
MOBSYNC opens synchronization center.
MSCONFIG opens system configuration utility.
SYSEDIT opens system configuration editor (careful while using this command).
SYSKEY Windows account database security management (careful while using this command).
Windows Utility and Applications
EPLORER opens Windows Explorer.
IEXPLORER opens Internet Explorer.
WAB opens contacts.
CHARMAP opens character map.
WRITE opens WordPad.
NOTEPAD opens Notepad.
CALC opens Calculator.
CLIPBRD opens Clipbook Viewer.
WINCHAT opens Microsoft Chat Interface.
SOUNDRECORDER opens sound recording tool.
DVDPLAY run CD or DVD.
WMPLAYER opens Windows Media Player.
MOVIEMK Opens untitled Windows Movie Maker.
OSK opens on-screen keyboard.
MAGNIFY opens Magnifier.
WINCAL opens Calendar.
DIALER opens phone dialer.
EUDCEDIT opens Private Character Editor.
NDVOL opens the mixer volume.
RSTRUI opens Tool System Restore (For Vista only).
%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\RESTORE\rstrui.exe opens Tool System Restore (for XP only).
MSINFO32 Opens System Information.
MRT launches the utility removal of malware.
Taskmgr Opens the Windows Task Manager.
CMD opens a command prompt.
MIGWIZ Opens the tool for transferring files and settings from Windows (Vista only).
Migwiz.exe Opens the tool for transferring files and settings from Windows (for XP only).
SIDEBAR Open the Windows (Vista only).
Sigverif Opens the tool for verification of signatures of files.
Winver Opens the window for your Windows version.
FSQUIRT Bluetooth Transfer Wizard.
IExpress opens the wizard for creating self-extracting archives.
MBLCTR opens the mobility center (Windows Vista only).
MSRA Opens Windows Remote Assistance.
Mstsc opens the tool connection Remote Desktop.
MSDT opens the diagnostic tools and support Microsoft.
WERCON opens the reporting tool and solutions to problems (for Vista only).
WINDOWSANYTIMEUPGRADE enables the upgrade of Windows Vista.
WINWORD opens Word (if installed).
PRINTBRMUI Opens migration wizard printer (Vista only).
DISKMGMT.MSC opens disk management utility.
CLEANMGR opens disk drive clean up utility.
DFRG.MSC opens disk defragmenter.
CHKDSK complete analysis of disk partition.
DISKPART disk partitioning tool.
IPCONFIG lists the configuration of IP addresses on your PC (for more information type IPCONFIG/? in the CMD menu).
INETCPL.CPL opens internet properties.
FIREWALL.CPL opens Windows firewall.
NETSETUP.CPL opens network set up wizard.
JAVAWS View the cover of Java software (if installed).
AC3FILTER.CPL opens the properties AC3 Filter (if installed).
FIREFOX Mozilla launches Firefox (if installed).
NETPROJ allow or not connecting to a network projector (For Vista only).
LOGOFF closes the current session.
SHUTDOWN shuts down Windows.
SHUTDOWN-A to interrupt Windows shutdown.
%WINDIR% or %SYSTEMROOT% opens the Windows installation.
%PROGRAMFILES% opens the folder where you installed other programs (Program Files).
%USERPROFILE% opens the profile of the user currently logged.
%HOMEDRIVE% opens the browser on the partition or the operating system is installed.
%HOMEPATH% opens the currently logged user C\Documents and Settings\ [username].
%TEMP% opens the temporary folder.
VSP1CLN deletes the cache for installation of the service pack 1 for Vista.
System File Checker (Requires Windows CD if the cache is not available).
SFC / scannow immediately scans all system files and repairs damaged files.
SFC / VERIFYONLY scans only those files system.
SFC / Scanfil = "name and file path" scans the specified file, and repairs if damaged.
SFC / VERIFYFILE = "name and file path" Scans only the file specified.
SFC / scanonce scans the system files on the next restart.
SFC / REVERT return the initial configuration (For more information, type SFC /? In the command prompt CMD.
- Cmd audio commands
- Calendar command in windows
- Cmd calendar
- Cmd network commands pdf > Guide
- Cmd attrib command > Guide
- Use Net Send: send PC to PC messages on a local network > Guide
- The CLIP command - Copy the results of a DOS command
- Stop CMD from closing: automatically, after running program > Guide
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to disable volume shadow copy?
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Update to Windows 10 for free
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Windows calendar show week number
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- How to increase your PC hard disk space?
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- How to enable classic notifications in Windows 10
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- Speed up PC startup on Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10