The default keyboards of the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and the iMac have no numeric keypad for entering numbers from a dedicated number pad. Depending on the model you have, you will normally have to hold down the shift key and then use the buttons above the letters. We will talk you through this process below.
How to emulate the numpad on Mac devices?
In most versions of the MacBook Pro, you will have to press and hold the SHIFT key and/or the CAPS LOCK key to access and type the numbers placed at the top of the keyboard as a type of shortcut. If you wish to adjust or change your keyboard settings you can:
- Go to the Apple main menu, click on System Preferences then on Keyboard.
- Select Input Sources and click on the '+' icon. You can then select the layout language you want e.g. English or French and consequently what functions certain keys will have:
- Once you've selected your keyboard, click Add.
If you have a newer version of the MacBook Pro featuring the 'Magic Keyboard' and Touch Bar, you will be able to adjust and configure your keyboard differently.
Need more help with your Mac? Check out our Forum!
- Macbook numpad
- Numpad on mac
- Numpad macbook
- M1x macbook pro > Guide
- Macbook jpg to pdf > Guide
- How to type square brackets on macbook pro > Guide
- Instagram macbook download > Guide
- Macbook rename > Guide
- Backslash on Mac: UK, German, French, AZERTY keyboards
- Insert a tilde sign: on Mac, Windows
- Type an underscore sign: Android, Windows, Mac, iPhone
- How to type the pipe character on Mac?
- Enable the on-screen keyboard: on Ubuntu, Mac, Windows, Android
- Type the π (pi) sign: in Excel, on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- QWERTY vs AZERTY keyboards: change layout, quickly switch
- Fix laptop keys: CTRL, Fn, Num Pad
- Type 'E' with an acute accent: on Mac, Windows, in Word
- Disable foreign keyboard: on Windows, Mac, Chromebook
- Keyboard shortcuts to change language: on Windows, Mac
- Fix reversed Caps Lock key: on Windows, Mac
- A key types the wrong sign: how to fix?
- Shift key not working correctly: on Windows or Mac
- How to fix your keyboard typing numbers instead of letters?
- Fix keyboard using shortcuts: Windows 10/8/7
- Keyboard won't type letters or numbers: wireless, laptop
- Write the At symbol (@) on laptop keyboard: Windows and Mac