The default keyboards of the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and the iMac have no numeric keypad for entering numbers from a dedicated number pad. Depending on the model you have, you will normally have to hold down the shift key and then use the buttons above the letters. We will talk you through this process below.
How to emulate the numpad on Mac devices?
In most versions of the MacBook Pro, you will have to press and hold the SHIFT key and/or the CAPS LOCK key to access and type the numbers placed at the top of the keyboard as a type of shortcut. If you wish to adjust or change your keyboard settings you can:
- Go to the Apple main menu, click on System Preferences then on Keyboard.
- Select Input Sources and click on the '+' icon. You can then select the layout language you want e.g. English or French and consequently what functions certain keys will have:
- Once you've selected your keyboard, click Add.
If you have a newer version of the MacBook Pro featuring the 'Magic Keyboard' and Touch Bar, you will be able to adjust and configure your keyboard differently.
Need more help with your Mac? Check out our Forum!
- Macbook number pad shortcuts
- Numpad on mac
- Macbook numpad
- Fix laptop keys: CTRL, Fn, Num Pad > Guide
- Windows media player for mac > Download
- Mac mini m1x release date > Guide
- Infuse 6 mac download > Download
- Dns probe finished no internet mac [solved] > Forum - MacOS
- How to type @ on keyboard: Mac, Windows, laptop
- Type 'E' with an acute accent: on Mac, Windows, in Word
- How to type the pipe character on Mac?
- Keyboard won't type letters or numbers: wireless, laptop
- How to insert brackets and curly braces on Mac keyboard?
- Fix reversed Caps Lock key: on Windows, Mac
- How to fix your keyboard typing numbers instead of letters?
- Insert a tilde sign: on Mac, Windows
- Fix keyboard using shortcuts: Windows 10/8/7
- QWERTY vs AZERTY keyboards: change layout, quickly switch
- Enable the on-screen keyboard: Ubuntu, Mac, Windows, Android
- Shift key not working correctly: on Windows or Mac
- Backslash on Mac: UK, German, French, AZERTY keyboards
- Type accented uppercase letters: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- Type the π (pi) sign: in Excel, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- Disable foreign keyboard: on Windows, Mac, Chromebook
- A key types the wrong sign: how to fix?
- Backspace not working in Word: 365, 2016
- Keyboard shortcuts to change language: on Windows, Mac
- Acer function keys not working Windows 10
- Type an underscore sign: Android, Windows, Mac, iPhone
- How to change keyboard language on Acer laptop
- Insert key on keyboard: function, insertion, replacement