Please Help. Sony Vaio VGN Audio Not Working.

Closed
rayan777 Posts 4 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2012 - Dec 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Dec 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Hi

Hi. My SONY laptop model VGN-FW48E. Running on Win Vista s.p 2.
Since last 2 days Audio stopped working completely.

It shows the sound icon on start menu bar. But enables only HDMI audio.

Speaker audio or Mic not working. Also I dont see any those devices on playback device tab.

I downloaded and installed software driver for audio few times already.
I updated BIOS as well.

I tired one whole day doing these things and went to bed. Next day morning I saw Sound is working again. I thought everything is fine. But When I restart the Vaio, sound lost again.

Finally I restored C drive using Vaio Recovery tool. Installed BIOS and Sound Driver from sony website.
Still I managed to enable only HDMI audio. Im so so fed up with trying so many times.
I can confirm nothing wrong with Sound card. This must be software/Driver or OS issue as I can see. But I dont know how to fix.

Please tell me how can I get my audio back.

Thank you in advance.

Rayan
Related:

7 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 22, 2012 at 01:54 AM
Hi rayan777,

As you mentioned you are running Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Version, it might have the default drivers for the audio card. Uninstall and delete any traces of the existing sound card drivers/applications. Also uninstall the Audio Card listed in the "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager. Restart the computer and see if the computer works fine with the default Vista Drivers.

Do reply with results.
rayan777 Posts 4 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2012
Dec 22, 2012 at 02:03 AM
I tried so many times and finally restored C: drive using Restore Center.
I removed all sound drivers and tried. But when computer starts it enables HDMI audio instead of Speaker audio.

Under Sound, Video & Game Controllers, I can see only High Definition Audio Device.
Before this happed I noticed Realtek Audio Device was also there.
I downloded and install driver from sony website. But still it enables only HDMI audio. Not speaker audio.
After hibernating from Night to morning, it worked once in the morning/. But again sound stoped working
giving "Sound Applet is not Responding."
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 22, 2012 at 06:26 AM
Hi Rayan,

Realtek Audio Device not appearing in "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager indicates that the onboard Sound Card is not being detected in Device Manager. High Definition Audio Device is not a sound card but the HDMI audio. This is different from a sound card. It is a feature of the graphics chip in the machine. This High Definition Audio Device is controlled by the Graphics Card not the Audio Card. Sony VAIO VGN-FW48E comes with ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 3470. This Video Chip has High Definition Audio Device with it that is why you see High Definition Audio Device in Device Manager.

It is possible that sound card has gone bad. However, as a last step from me, you can try checking the settings in the BIOS. Sometimes it is possible that the integrated sound card gets disabled in the BIOS.

Please reply if you have any further questions.
rayan777 Posts 4 Registration date Friday December 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2012
Dec 22, 2012 at 06:35 AM
Could you please tell me how can I access BIOS setup. I tried pressing F1, F2 and F3
F2 key direct me to BiOS set up. But I dont see much details on that BIOS set up.
I couldnt find any place to see sound card settings.

Speaker audio work once in the morning. It was in Hibernate mode all night. When I turn on the PC sound work as before.

But now it always enables HDMI audio.

There are 2 driver packages on my list. Audio Driver for HDMI and Audio Driver for Speakers. When I install drivers, it installs HDMI driver first and skipping to restart without finishing progress bar up to 100%. So im not sure realtek driver installing well. I uninstalled HDMI audio dirver from Device manager, but after restart, it installs automatically.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 25, 2012 at 02:09 AM
Hi Rayan,

You are correct; F2 will direct you to BIOS. You can check the below mentioned link for details on how to enter BIOS:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support

Please note that all the BIOS do not have this feature of enabling/disabling HD audio. The BIOS in your computer seems to be of this type. Try loading the "Setup Defaults" by using the F9 key after entering the BIOS. If this doesn't work, it is most probably the Hardware (Sound Card) that has gone bad. I would recommend you contacting Sony Support to confirm if the Hardware is failing.

Please reply if you have any further questions.
Dec 25, 2012 at 02:37 AM
Audio started working in the morning when I turn on the Laptop. This happened 2-3 mornings. But after few mints volume control friezed and go the error "Windows shell common dll not responding/stopped working". So when I restart the laptop, it starts without audio. So I guess sound card is working fine. Based on above situation do you think this can be hardware failure.
Dec 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Hi Rayan,

This error: "Windows Shell Common Dll Not Responding" is related to drivers. If the sound works intermittently, let's try again with updating the driver. Download and install the driver from here:

http://www.sony-europe.com/support/en/product/VGN-FW48E_H/downloads/Preinstalled_Drivers_4232

If the driver fails to install, reply with the text of the exact error that you get.

Do reply with results.