[Closed]
Registration date
Thursday February 28, 2013
Status
Last seen
March 3, 2013
-
 coty -
My desktop monitor will randomly power itself down into power save mode while I'm working on the computer. The screen will suddenly develop a greenish tint before it says that no input is detected and immediately afterwards it'll go black. I've tried turning the monitor off and back on without success.

Connections have been checked and cords have been checked and all appear in working condition. I even checked the male and female connections to see if there was an issue there. I can shut down the monitor, unplug everything to the monitor, plug everything back, turn it back on, and it'll still say no input detected.

The only thing that seems to work is if I turn off or reset the tower itself. Then the monitor will work just fine until it randomly does it again. The time periods before this happens again have ranged anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours.

Related:

2 replies

Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
You need to test with a different monitor to determine if the problem is with the monitor or the video card. It could be either.

Good Luck
Registration date
Thursday February 28, 2013
Status
Last seen
March 3, 2013
I'm now pretty sure it's not the monitor itself, unfortunately I don't have a spare monitor to test. I've isolated the problem to involve a java based program I recently updated, I'd never had an issue in the past with the program. The monitor never crashes when said program isn't running. And it'll crash even if the program's up in the background.

Having the program minimized so it doesn't quite take up the whole screen seems to alleviate the issue. Instead of causing the monitor to enter sleep mode until the cpu restarts, the screen will tint and then a little notification will pop up on the windows toolbar saying the display driver recovered after a crash. And then the monitor will return to normal until the next crash. The crash and recovery seems to happen multiple times over a very short time-frame before going away.
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
Perhaps an update of the video driver will fix the problem. It sounds like the video card stops sending a signal to the monitor because of a driver crash.
>
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019

What if your computer enters power save mode in the mist of updating, startup repairing, or pretty much anything within 5 minutes. But it just leaves my monitor black but the cup is still running. I have to shut down by holding the power button.