-
PaulCaldera
Registration date
Sunday February 15, 2015
Status
Last seen
February 15, 2015
-
Hello, I would like to format my USB flash. window was unable to complete the format. and Report that "Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them." Thank you advance.

3 replies

Registration date
Wednesday October 23, 2013
Status
Last seen
October 23, 2013
Sorry, When I type chkdsk E:/R
Message that The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 4026 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Tuesday March 19, 2013
Status
Last seen
June 10, 2015
With the Drive attached, go to Start/Search and type CMD right click the CMD.exe icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In the command prompt window type chkdsk X: /R and press enter (replace X: with the actual drive letter of your flash drive) now type a Y to unmount the drive. Once Check Disk has checked the file system you can Format the drive.
Some Flash drives have a slider switch on the side to make the drive Read Only, if you have this switch make sure it is set to Write.
Voeurn
Registration date
Wednesday October 23, 2013
Status
Last seen
October 23, 2013
Sorry, When I type chkdsk E:/R
Message that The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.Please help me.
Sorry, cannot direct access
PaulCaldera
Registration date
Sunday February 15, 2015
Status
Last seen
February 15, 2015

Thanks for the post. I am in the same boat as "Boankh". The message is "cannot access the drive directly". I am using Win 7 x 64 on a Dell Latitude laptop. I can still access the drive and use on my older laptop (Dell Inspiron win 7 x 32) but not recognized on the later one. I am really getting frustrated. Please help. Thank You.
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
Hi Voeurn,

Sadly, RAW format appears on devices which may have some hardware issue. RAW may mean that the drive is currently not really recognized from the system. There are so few thing you could do to restore information from a RAW file format. It seems to me that you have no data in the flash, but if you do try connecting it to some Linux OS.
If you have no important data in that USB, I recommend you to replace it. It is very important to use a reliable device for your data.

Hope this helps