No wireless internet, should I get a router?

Closed
Anonymous User - Dec 4, 2013 at 08:02 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 5, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Hello,

I live in an apartment and I do not have a wireless connection to internet, so I use the ethernet cable for my MacbookPro. It is inconvenient because I can't use the internet anywhere else in my apartment other than my room. So is getting a router a good idea? I heard that if I get one and connect the router with the ethernet cord, I will get an wireless access to internet in certain area limit? Is that true? If it is true, would my neighbors be able to use my internet (I don't want that to happen..)? How does a router exactly work? And if I do get a router, could you please recommend me a good one, yet affordable?

Thank you.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 5, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Yes. You probably need a wireless router. You can set a security password so that only you can use the wifi account. Otherwise, the signal can be used by anyone. Any router at Best Buy should be OK. They might charge about $100 to do the set-up for you.

Good Luck