My external hard drive cannot be connected to other laptops

Closed
mel - Aug 13, 2014 at 04:17 AM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 8, 2015 at 04:58 PM
Hello,

i have a Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4) and i have a seagate hard drive. it is connected well to my mac but when i connect it to any other laptop, it doesn't seem to be sensed even though the light on the hard drive lights up. i have tried it on 3 other laptops which are all windows. i havent tried it on another mac. pls help me~!
ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Related:

4 responses

but... doing that would reformat the drive? meaning erase everything out?
Blocked Profile
Aug 14, 2014 at 01:15 PM
That is correct. If there isn't a lot why not copy it to your mac first then format it.
Blocked Profile
Aug 13, 2014 at 09:17 AM
Hi there.

the reason you're drive cannot be detected in Windows computers is because the drive has been formatted with a file system that only Mac OS can read.

can the drive be formatted? (everything on it will be deleted).

if so, plug it into your mac and go to the disk utility.

select the drive and format it to exFAT.

this should allow you to be able to view it on both Mac and PC.
I have the same problem however I cannot format my hard drive because 750 gb of it is full and I dont have space to unload them... Is there any other way to solve this issue?
johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 14
Aug 25, 2014 at 08:39 PM
worth a try found this option on mac site

pop in the dvd, explore to /bootcamp/drivers/apple
copy bootcamp.msi OR bootcamp64.msi to your desktop/hard drive.
take out the DVD.
run the bootcamp/64.msi. hfs drivers and a few minor things are installed. restart.
done hfs drives are now readable.

NOTE: the installer adds two services, OSmanager and Appletimesync, (something like that) you CAN disable them through "services.msc". it also installs the bootcamp control panel. you can remove/disable this thourgh "msconfig" startup options. you dont really have to do this though.
I tried to install JUST the drivers, couldnt make that happen.
Blocked Profile
Sep 8, 2015 at 04:58 PM
I solved your problem. You can go to device manager -> under storage controllers selected the "USB Mass Storage Device" which comes up when i connect the drive -> right click and select update driver software ->browse my computer option -> let me pick ... option -> in the listed drivers i selected mass storage device and clicked OK. Everything working fine now..