How to check if a cell contains "%" and calculate accordingly. [Solved/Closed]

-
 Saurabh -
I am wondering how to do that?

I learnt no basics, just went on by myself trying to figure out things and so here is what I am trying to do..

Basically, if cell B2 contains a whole number (say 10), then cell C2 returns that flat value, but if cell B2 contains a percentage, then C2 performs a simple equation (i.e.: B2*B1)

It's just I am not sure how to define if a cell has a specific symbol/text so it can perform the equation needed, else disregard.

How I vision it could've been (tried but failed)"
IF(B2="#%", B2*B1, B2) -- if I understood that function correctly, if B2 contains a percentage, it would multiply B2 by B1, if not, it will return B2 value.. regardless of that, it always returns B2 value, even if it is with a percentage.

Help will be appreciated.

2 replies

Registration date
Tuesday March 3, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 3, 2015
=IF(RIGHT(B2,1)="%",B2*B1,B2)

please follow-up with us if it works for you.
--
Damn it !!!, is it ever gonna be the way I want it to be?
Thank you

Glad we were able to help! Love us? Write us a review! Rate CCM

CCM 4135 users have said thank you to us this month

Works like a charm!

Could you possibly explain what does the function "right" mean?
MaxStart
Registration date
Tuesday March 3, 2015
Status
Last seen
July 3, 2015
it will return characters from the string starting from the right, number of characters in this case is 1
Registration date
Sunday June 14, 2009
Status
Contributor
Last seen
July 30, 2015
try this formula

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(".",A1)),B2*B1,B2)
I am not quite sure why you included A1 or even why there is a dot, but anyways the formula didn't work unfortunately.

It does the opposite of what happened with my code, always returned the "true" value, which is B2*B1 regardless of the presence of % or not.
I think I got this, since I can't get my way to return a true/false value if B2 cell contains the symbol % I just used this formula:

=IF(B2<=1, B2*B1, B2)

Where 100% would be 1.00, 99% would be 0.99 and so on are less than 1.. now it works like a charm. However, if the percentage input is more than 100% it wouldn't work, but I doubt I'd need more than that. Anyhow, I still would like to know if a cell contained a symbol or a text, which expression do I use to return a true/false value for that cell and upon it perform another function?