Toshiba Satellite refuses to boot up

Closed
Garizio Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 11, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 11, 2015 - Aug 11, 2015 at 08:07 AM
 Garizio - Aug 12, 2015 at 05:29 AM
I am new to this forum and really hope you can help me. I have a Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1FD which refuses to boot up. When I press the start button there is a bit of activity on the CD drive like it's looking for a boot DVD and then it stops. The screen remains black and quiet. Is there a fault with the motherboard for this model. Many Thanks
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Aug 11, 2015 at 12:26 PM
Sorry there is no generic fault that will magically fix you laptop.

Completely dead laptops generally need a qualified computer tech to diagnose. Perhaps you can find a good local PC repair shop.

Good luck
Hello xpcman, the laptop is not dead, it does switch on, the cd rom makes a spinning sound and then everything goes quiet. The screen remains black and nothing comes up, no windows 8.1 logo etc !
Hi xpcman,
I tried creating an ISO file of Windows 8.1 and burning it is a CD. I tried to start up the laptop using this method. There was a lot of CD drive activity but nothing came up on screen. I have also tried using a recovery CD which should have worked as I did not mind formatting the hard drive with a fresh recovery. Again, no screen came up and all remains black. Can I just create a plain windows 8.1 bootable CD ? I have another laptop running 8.1 which I could use to create the boot CD. Gosh ... I don't know what else to do ! Many thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Aug 11, 2015 at 05:45 PM
Try this

1. Remove the battery and cable.

2. Press and hold the power button for 58 seconds.

3. Replug and start.

Good luck