WD Elements HDD - Corrupted and unreadable

Closed
catherine_WD Posts 3 Registration date Sunday January 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2016 - Jan 3, 2016 at 08:37 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 6, 2016 at 06:35 AM
Hello,

I have a WD elements of which I tried to open it when the system prompted me with the following words:

"H: is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I had tried the suggestion of using "chkdsk /f h: --? enter"

The reply as below:

"The type of the file system is NTSF.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted."

What is wrong? I hope I can retrieve all the files inside the external HDD as I have plenty of important files and images inside. Thinking of losing all of them makes me sad. :(

Hope someone can shed some light on this matter.

2 responses

catherine_WD Posts 3 Registration date Sunday January 3, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2016 4
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Hi R2D1_WD,

Thank you for the reply.

I had tried to connect the disk today again with my existing USB cable and another USB cable on the same laptop. But bad luck, today my laptop cannot even detect the device!

If next time I am able to reconnect again and the same command prompts out as per my first question, what will be my device named after? Will it be H: or G: or the name I previously assigned to (i.e. Red Devil)?

You mentioned about the Linux Live CD. Is it possible for me to get from any computer shop? I am currently using DELL laptop.

Thank you for your advice.

Rgds
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 6, 2016 at 06:35 AM
Your device should keep its name unless the drive letter is already taken by another drive. To confirm that, first open Disk Management and check drive’s drive letter and file format. Those Linux CDs should be free for download. Search online for some new versions. You should burn a CD or USB in order to boot from. No installation is needed.