Sound System Plugged Into Monitor

Closed
Patrick - Jul 19, 2016 at 12:12 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 21, 2016 at 05:37 PM
Hello,

Anyways, my Envy Phoenix computer's sound output broke within months of purchase. HP didn't care and I can't get sound from anything plugged into the computer. However, I can get sound if I plug in through my monitor.

My question is, is if there is any difference between plugging into a monitor or computer? And if there is any difference is it worth getting a sound system for around $150 that I will plug into my monitor?

Thank you!

I should clarify that the Klipsch ProMedia sound system will only work if plugged into the headphone jack of the monitor. Will that damage the monitor or speakers?

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 21, 2016 at 05:37 PM
The HDMI connection has a different audio chip and software driver from the chip that drives the internal audio ports.

It appears your primary motherboard based chip has either a hardware or software driver issue.

It shouldn't harm the computer or monitor to use the monitor audio port.

Good Luck