WD My Passport detection problem

Closed
Bishu - Jul 21, 2016 at 04:01 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 21, 2016 at 05:03 PM
Hello,

I have been using my WD My Passport portable hard drive for nearly four years without a problem whatsoever. Yesterday, it accidentally fell about 3 ft on my hardwood floor. There is no sign of any external damage. When I plug in the HD into the USB drive of my laptop, its light blinks continuously and I hear beeps for about a minute (I never heard this before). The following lists what is happening:
1. I don’t see the My Passport drive letter in Windows Explorer as before.
2. I see “WD My Passport” under Device Manager.

I tried the following:
a. Start --> Run ---> “diskmgmt.msc” and see “Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized”. I Right Click on Disk 1 Properties and see “This device is working properly” under General tab.
b. Right clickInitialize Disk, but get the message “The request could not be performed because of I/O device error”.

One of your Q&A suggested the following to rectify the problem:
• uninstall “USB Mass Storage Device” under Device Manager ==> Universal Serial Bus Controllers
• then “Scan for Hardware Changes”

Please confirm if this is safe to correct the problem.
OR
Is there any other procedure?

Thanks.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 21, 2016 at 05:03 PM
I suggest you try the drive on another computer. I suspect you will have the same problem on the test PC. Because you have damaged the drive beyond any simple repair.
The procedures you read about will fix PC specific software problems but not any hardware related ones you have. I would not bother with them.

A fall of even a foot can destroy the read/write heads of the drive if the drive is active. Some drive have a feature that attempts to park the heads when it detects that the drive is falling.

Given the symptoms you relate I suspect the drive is beyond repair/data recovery.