Lenovo laptop, G505s, which simply keeps shutting down

Closed
Midori984 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen August 7, 2016 - Aug 7, 2016 at 05:11 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 7, 2016 at 06:26 PM
Hello everyone,

For months I have been experiencing problems with my Lenovo laptop, G505s, which simply keeps shutting down all the time. I have had it cleaned (twice in a month), but even though it doesn't get hot anymore, it still keeps shutting down. This usually happens as soon as I open two or three tabs on my browser at the same time, so I guess the problem is not overheating. There is no "blue-screen-of-death" or any other warnings.

Can someone please explain to me why this is happening, and give me some advice on this matter? Hopefully something that I could do myself (I know this is too optimistic, but I really do not feel comfortable with strangers "fixing" it without any improvements anymore)?

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if I did something wrong.
Thank you so much in advance!

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Aug 7, 2016 at 05:24 PM
Hello

Since your laptop shuts down only after you open two tabs on your browser I would be inclined to think that your RAM memory is at fault.

How long after opening another tab?

Does it happen any other time?
Midori984 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday August 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen August 7, 2016
Aug 7, 2016 at 05:38 PM
Hello Ambucias, and thank you for your reply!

It usually starts loading the tab, then you can literally hear it struggling with it for a second or two, and than it just goes off. It depends on the webpage I would like to go to as well, it seems.
If I use only one program, for instance, only Skype or Word, it works fine for an hour maybe, but as soon as I try to start something else, it shuts down. Also, if I only open YouTube page, it works fine for an hour or so, but if I tried to open my e-mail at the same time...

I thought it was memory's fault too, since I have to use both Skype and Chrome at the same time for work, but when I took it to be serviced, they would say it was due to the heat.

What should I do if the problem was in the RAM memory?