-
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
-
Hello everyone,

For months I have been experiencing problems with my Lenovo laptop, G505s, which simply keeps shutting down all the time. I have had it cleaned (twice in a month), but even though it doesn't get hot anymore, it still keeps shutting down. This usually happens as soon as I open two or three tabs on my browser at the same time, so I guess the problem is not overheating. There is no "blue-screen-of-death" or any other warnings.

Can someone please explain to me why this is happening, and give me some advice on this matter? Hopefully something that I could do myself (I know this is too optimistic, but I really do not feel comfortable with strangers "fixing" it without any improvements anymore)?

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if I did something wrong.
Thank you so much in advance!

2 replies

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
Hello

Since your laptop shuts down only after you open two tabs on your browser I would be inclined to think that your RAM memory is at fault.

How long after opening another tab?

Does it happen any other time?
Registration date
Sunday August 7, 2016
Status
Last seen
August 7, 2016

Hello Ambucias, and thank you for your reply!

It usually starts loading the tab, then you can literally hear it struggling with it for a second or two, and than it just goes off. It depends on the webpage I would like to go to as well, it seems.
If I use only one program, for instance, only Skype or Word, it works fine for an hour maybe, but as soon as I try to start something else, it shuts down. Also, if I only open YouTube page, it works fine for an hour or so, but if I tried to open my e-mail at the same time...

I thought it was memory's fault too, since I have to use both Skype and Chrome at the same time for work, but when I took it to be serviced, they would say it was due to the heat.

What should I do if the problem was in the RAM memory?
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 13, 2020
Thanks for all the explanations.

If it's not that hot in the room you are working in and the fan runs well, I doubt about over heating.

Your explanations lead me again to memory RAM issue.

If I were you, I would do the following:

1. Remove the ram sticks, clean them with a soft cloth and reseat them properly.

(When doing the above ensure you are on a non static electricity surface)

2. If the shut down occurs again, try one ram stick at a time. This will determine which one is faulty and needs to be replaced.

3. If all of the above fail, purchase a new ram stick and repeat step #2

4. If the above steps do not result in a positive result, let me know and we will try a system and software diagnostic.

Good luck

P.S. Catch you tomorrow