No Signal

Closed
Manu - Oct 26, 2016 at 06:49 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 28, 2016 at 06:39 AM
Alright, so when I turn my PC on, the fans spin and all, but there is no signal and neither my mouse nor keyboard light up. This was after connecting a really old HDD from a PC that hasn't worked for like 5 years. It was my dads and his it friend said it was dead. Upon turning on that PC the fans and LEDs work... I'm so fu***** worried as I'm thinking maybe the HDD had a terrible virus on it ir something? I don't know... please someone tell me my computer is revivable. Btw my dads IT friend may be wrong about the PC, idk, but that's what my dad told me he said. I had the PC as
I was gonna use the dope case.

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 27, 2016 at 03:34 AM
Hi Manu,

Please disconnect the hard drive and try to turn on the PC. Your PC should start even with no HDD connected. At least you should be able to access the BIOS menu. Are there any beeping sounds from the PC when you press the power button? Can you hear the post code?
In general, it is unlikely that a virus could cause this trouble, because viruses affect mainly the installed OS and you are not able to boot even to BIOS, which may indicate a hardware issue. Please disconnect the power cable and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Reconnect the cable and try to boot again. I would recommend you to remove the RAM sticks, clean the ports and reconnect them. Check again if the issue persists.

Hope this helps

Hi, I will try, but first I'll say that I disconnected the HDD after 30 seconds of realising it wasn't working so only my current 2 are in there now.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Manu
Oct 28, 2016 at 06:39 AM
So, have in mind that it is unlikely to be a virus, but if there is a problem with the hard drive’s connector, it may have caused some power issues to the power supply or the motherboard. This is a rare problem these days but it happens. The bad news is that this kind of damage can be identified with the assistance of a technician because your components should be tested one by one.