External HD running on TV but not recognised by computer or Tab

Closed
dr.arnab Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 7, 2016 - Dec 6, 2016 at 02:58 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Dec 8, 2016 at 02:47 AM
Hello there
I've a seaget 1TB with power supply external hard disk. It suddenly not being recognised by Windows or Android. Whenever I connect it to computer it's taking too long to appear in disk management console but not showing in file manager. It has an assigned drive letter in disk mgt. I tried recovering the data using 3rd party softwares, but all effort failed. In recovery partition or file recovery it is showing zero partition or file. But whenever I connect it to my Samsung TV all its contents are playing. Kindly help in resolving the issue.
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 6, 2016 at 05:32 PM
Your TV is probably running some version of Linux. Sometimes Linux will recognize an external drive when windows can't.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 7, 2016 at 02:27 AM
Hi dr. arnab,

Unfortunately, it seems that there may be a problem with your hard drive. You have done good job trying to solve the issue. The drive has a drive letter, but does it have a correct file format? I would recommend you to test it another PC and with another USB cable. Like xpcman said, it is likely that Linux may recognize the drive and you may be able to save your data. If you do not have access to a Linux PC, download a Linux Live CD, make a bootable flash drive and boot from it. No installation is required. Connect the drive and try to access it.

Hope this helps

dr.arnab Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen December 7, 2016
Dec 7, 2016 at 06:23 AM
I have a Ubuntu CD. Tried the same. It's showing device is not accessible. But the drive name it's showing in desktop. Moreover, TV is playing all the files nicely.
Advice what to do.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 8, 2016 at 02:47 AM
In general, different Unix based systems may respond differently when it comes to drive with connectivity problems. The good news is that the information is still readable and you may have a chance recovering it by using data recovery software for Linux or by contacting a data recovery company. I hope you will manage to save the most important files. Once you do so, you may need to replace the hard drive.