Connected, but no internet

Closed
aaa12456 Posts 3 Registration date Monday February 20, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017 - Updated by aaa12456 on 20/02/17 at 06:25 PM
aaa12456 Posts 3 Registration date Monday February 20, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017 - Feb 20, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Hi all,

I have a problem with my internet: sometimes (happens every day or two) my computer shows that I have a strong connection to the internet but when I open Google Chrome, the browser takes a very long time on a white screen loading the page, and after about a minute it shows a page showing the message "Unable to access the network." Running the troubleshooter gives no problems or solutions, and after running any other application such as Steam, the application does not necessarily show that I do not have connection, but it doesn't run properly and won't load anything that requires an internet connection. The problem is not in my router, because I am able to use internet on several other devices. I tried flushing my DNS and restarting my computer, both with no luck. Furthermore, a particularly weird problem is that when I try to open control panel, it takes forever for the loading bar (green at the top) to fill, then it ends up not loading at all (just a white page). Is the control panel connected with the internet? All other application load fine (if not using internet). Keep in mind this only happens ocassionally, but lasts for at least an hour.

I have only gotten this problem after I recently installed a program called System Mechanic Pro (iolo) from humblebundle.com, and ran a system checkup and continued to use its services which include "optimizing the internet," deleting random files, and doing something with the registry. I ended up deleting it because I thought it would mess up my computer more. I'm not really experienced with this stuff, but could the problem be that System Mechanic Pro deleted some critical files or tampered with the registry? I can redownload it to provide more information if nevessary. Or is this a virus? I have seen somewhere online that people restore their registry to default... what does this do? What is the importance of
the registry? Sorry for all these questions.

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 20, 2017 at 06:31 PM
Greetings

I have checked humblebundle.com and it's probable that you may get your system infected.

To begin, I suggest that you download, install and run Malwarebyte, (it's free)

Here is the link for download:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

I also suggest that you cease to use System Mechanic Pro, it really useless and may cause problem.

Let me know.

If you have further issues let me know.

Ambucias
Moderator and Security/Virus Contributor
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 20, 2017 at 06:33 PM
I forgot, you said that you have no internet connection.

Boot in safe mode with networking then go through the steps above.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171 > Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023
Feb 20, 2017 at 06:37 PM
By the way, the registry is the heart of the system, no touch unless you know what you are doing.

See tomorrow.
aaa12456 Posts 3 Registration date Monday February 20, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017 > Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023
Feb 20, 2017 at 07:59 PM
I do have internet connection now, but it stops working ever so often (was once every 2 days, but now it's once every day or more: today I had this problem twice).
aaa12456 Posts 3 Registration date Monday February 20, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017
Feb 20, 2017 at 08:10 PM
I deleted System Mechanic Pro already, but I don't think that the software itself was the problem. I used the Malwarebytes scan function, and right now it has already found 189 possible threats. I'll keep it scanning and do whatever Malwarebytes suggests. I'll let you know if the problem persists.