Can't connect to internet [Solved/Closed]

- - Latest reply:  Hal - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I need help!!! I have my modem and router connected -- wireless -- for each of my 2 laptops. Both reflect "Excellent" strength in connections, however when I click on internet explorer....it states that I can't get on. It's driving me crazy!!!! Any ideas??
See more 

8 replies

Best answer
Thank you
For those using Microsoft windows, follow the steps below :
  • Click on start menu>RUN and type
    ncpa.cpl 
  • click ok
  • Right click the appropriate connection and click repair.

Step2:repair winsock
  • Click start menu >RUN, type
    netsh winsock reset
    and then click ok
  • Command prompt flashes,
  • restart your computer.

Thank you, jas 29

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM has helped 2589 users this month

Dude I owe you big time

thanx whoever you are, your tip just save me

way to go

albert
THANK YOU!!!
I have been searching for hours trying to fix this and I did just what you said and it worked...wonderful!!!!
Dear jas,

i have been trying to solve this problem for 2 hours.

tahnks god I found your solution
"Click start menu >RUN, type netsh winsock reset and then click ok
Command prompt flashes,restart your computer."

i wonder why the hell they do not wrtie it on microsoft site ??
damn for 2 hours I have been searching the net!!

thank you so much again jas..
Wee jocky
Registration date
Tuesday May 4, 2010
Last seen
May 4, 2010
-
I have the same problem, unable to connect to Internet via Ethernet cable, this solution indicates its for windows XP service pack2. Is the same possible solution for Windows XP service pack 3? As I've tried all sorts to get my internet connection back with no resolvement

Also can you tell me if the Ethernet port card by itself or is it connected to another card as part of it
The (netsh winsock reset) worked fantastically. Thank you.
Thank you
You could try this:

Click Start,
Click Control Panel,
Double Click Network Connections,
Right click your wireless connection, then click properties,

In the box that says "This connection uses the following items:", click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click the properties button.

Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected.

OK your way out of all the boxes and hopefully all will be good after that.
-
Thanks man, that saved me a lot of time and frustration!
3 years later ,still good advice..problem solved.....Cheers.
Thank you
For those of you running Windows Vista or XP 64 try resetting Winsock - worked for me:

Open a command prompt as an administrator

http://www.howtogeek.com/...

Type the following commands without the quotes:

"Ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.

"Netsh int ip reset" and press Enter

Vista will then want to be rebooted. Go ahead and reboot.

When it starts back up, again open command prompt as administrator.

Type the following commands without the quotes:

"Netsh winsock reset"

Vista will then want to be rebooted. Go ahead and reboot.

When it starts back up hopefully IE7 will work once again
steelgrave you are my hero thanks man
Registration date
Saturday February 21, 2009
Last seen
February 22, 2009
Thank you
Had a problem with my Dell laptop similar to yours. I hadn't used my Dell laptop for a few months and recently when I tried to connect to my D-Link router (connected to cable modem) I could not get the internet. Firefox and IE would start OK but would give the "page not load" (or whatever) error. I have a second PC/desktop connected to the same router via LAN and it works fine.
- I tried both the LAN and wireless connections without success.
- I checked both the LAN network and wireless adapters in Device Manager and both were fine but even so I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Dell.
- Released and renewed the LAN connection several times.
- Uninstalled my firewall but that didn't work.
- Installed Cisco's Network Magic and it couldn't find the problem.
- Reset the Winsock with no difference.
- I had a copy of Vista purchased with the laptop and installed that and that too wouldn't give an internet connection.
- Checked cables; rebooted (power off/power on) the router and the modem.
- Finally I tried the laptop at a friend's place that had a similar router/modem setup AND IT WORKED!
So I went back to mine and looked over the router and found a "factory reset" button and did the reset and viola it worked! I think there is a software way to do that too.
Thank you
Norton Removal Tool....it's sad that they have to even make such an application. This solved my no internet issue, thanks!
Thank you
U can do these-
a. try Firefox or another browser
b. check task managers's 'Network' tab to see if there are any packets passing through the adapter(see the green lines)
c. check ur network/ethernet driver- install one if none is present or do an update
d. if nothing works, try restarting the system

if the modem shows 'Excellent signal', then -modem is working; net connection is working

if network drivers are also properly installed then it could be a power supply problem(thats why restarting the computer might solve the problem sometimes)

In such a case, check the SMPS, especially if u have other problems like-
a computer shutting down suddenly or
b monitor going blank or
c programs closing all of a sudden

if u are in India/Pak & similar countries SMPS problems could be quite common because of the poor quality of power supply & high voltage fluctuations which damage SMPSes quite often.
thehobogod
Registration date
Thursday September 3, 2009
Last seen
September 18, 2009
-
if there are no green lines under networking then what do I do to fix that? im installing updates now so it mite be fixing idk, but it says my connection strength is excellent but when I go to internet it won't show any pages... this also happens with steam.
Thank you
Yes, Plug the modem in to the computer with the yellow cable (Ethernet Cable). And put the gray cable (Connection) in to the wall and modem. Then wait a couple of minutes and then it works!!!!! Thanks, Colyy
Thank you
ahem well its simple really, all u gotta do is go to control panel>network connections>wireless connection>properties>Scroll down till u find internet protocol (TCP/IP)>obtain ip address automatically>press ok