Folder and files in my external drive totally disappear [Closed]

-
Hello,
i could not find one of my folder. It totally disappeared from my external drive. I searched using the search function in my Window 10. Please help. Thanks.

PS: I tried to search for one of the file in that folder and I could not find it as well. FYI, I tried the control function in the "run"-whereas, I removed "hide" folder functions. Still I could not find them. Any suggestion much appreciate!!!!

See more 

3 replies

Best answer
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 29, 2019
Thank you
Try this 1.

Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your external drive letter as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Replace the letter g with your External hard drive letter.

Now check for your files in External Drive.

Good Luck.

Say "Thank you" 3

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 5739 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Thursday May 22, 2014
Status
Last seen
December 5, 2019
Thank you
Hard drives data may get disappear due to various reasons such as virus attack, files hidden option activated, etc. I would suggest you to check the show hidden file option whether it is checked or unchecked. Also, scan the hard drive with antivirus and see if your data becomes viewable.
Registration date
Monday February 6, 2017
Status
Contributor
Last seen
May 19, 2017
Thank you
Solution 1 – Check the Users folder

After Windows 10 upgrade, certain files might be missing from your computer, however, in most cases they are just moved to a different folder. Users report that most of their missing files and folders can be found at This PC > Local Disk (C) > Users > User Name > Documents or This PC > Local Disk (C) > Users > Public.

Solution 2 – Show hidden files and folders

If your files and folders disappeared, maybe you should check for hidden files and folders. Sometimes, files and folders might appear missing, but they are actually hidden. To show hidden files and folders, do the following:

1.Press Windows Key + S and type File Explorer. Choose File Explorer Options from the list.

2.When File Explorer Options window opens, go to View tab. Locate Hidden files and folders option and select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Click Apply and OK to save changes.
After you’ve changed this option, try searching for the missing files and folders on your computer. In most cases, the files should be in the same folder where you left them.

Solution 3 – Switch to your old user account

We recommend this tool to update all your drivers automatically
Downloading drivers manually can be a long and tedious process. Outdated drivers can often cause crashes, file loss and even permanent damage to your computer. DriverAgent Plus quickly and automatically downloads all the drivers that you need:

1.Download DriverAgent Plus (100% safe download and endorsed by us).
2.Once the download is complete start the DriverAgent Plus.
3.Click the Start Scan button and let DriverAgent Plus download all the necessary drivers.

In some cases, files and folders might disappear when you upgrade to Windows 10 and that’s because Windows 10 creates a new account for you by default. Your old account is still present, but it’s not set as the default account, so you have to switch to it. To do that, follow these steps:

Click the Start Button and click your username at the top.

You should see another account available on the list. Click it in order to switch to it.
After you switch to it, all your files and folders should be available to you.

Solution 4 – Search different hard drive partitions for your files

After you upgrade to Windows 10, your hard drive letters might get changed for some reason. For example, if you used to store files on your C drive, they might be moved to D:\Users\Your_username folder on any other hard drive partition. In order to locate your missing files and folder, make sure to check all hard drive partitions thoroughly.