Specific keyboard key's combination won't work (such as Ctrl+Shift+Z)

Solved/Closed
pphardt Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2018 - Updated on Oct 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM
pphardt Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2018 - Nov 14, 2018 at 08:38 AM
Hello,

I use Photoshop and Illustrator a lot, and the default Redo shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + Z.
I have a brand new PC, and it worked fine at the beginning - as far as I remember, but all of a sudden it stopped working. I don't remember if it happened after some Windows Update or after I changed my SSD, which was defective.

I contacted Adobe support but it turns out it wasn't their program's fault.

Testing my keyboard on an online keyboard tester http://en.key-test.ru/, I learned that all keys work fine on their own and most combinations too: if I type Ctrl+Z, it works; Shift+Z, it also works; and so on, but SHIFT+CTRL+Z won't work, as well as SHIFT+CAPSLOCK+Z and SHIFT+CAPSLOCK+X.

It doesn't make sense. Shift+Alt+Z works fine. Ctrl+Alt+Z also works. Ctrl+Shift+X has no problems. So why wouldn't Ctrl+Shift+Z work? I looked for an answer online and couldn't find one, and I thought I should ask if this has anything to do with any Windows configuration before I buy a new keyboard.

Oh, and by the way, I just formatted my SSD and installed Windows again, just to be sure.

Thanks in advance

- Pedro

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Oct 31, 2018 at 03:23 PM
Ctrl-Y is the more popular combination, but some programs like Adobe Photoshop use Ctrl-Shift-Z as the default "redo" combination.

This combination is installed by Photoshop - You got invalid information from Adobe Help.
pphardt Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2018
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:06 AM
xpcman,

thanks for replying, but I think you didn't understand my issue.

Adobe Help indeed told me about Ctrl+Y, but that's not the case.
See, this has nothing to do with Adobe anymore.

As I said, I tested my keyboard and I'm unable to use that combination - when I press Shift+Ctrl and any other key it works, except with the letter Z.

I also play an online game which I can bind hotkeys to cast spells. I tested trying to bind Ctrl+Shift+Z and it doesn't work.
Anonymous User > pphardt Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2018
Nov 4, 2018 at 05:47 PM
Hi

What happens if you try another keyboard?
pphardt Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2018 > Anonymous User
Nov 14, 2018 at 08:38 AM
Jules, since all my keys worked fine separately I thought it might has something to do with Win config, but I tried with a friends keyboard and it worked. It seems like my keyboard was indeed defective;

Thanks everyone