Ask a question Report

Fixing Your PS3 Network Connection [Solved/Closed]

Rhino - Latest answer on Nov 29, 2012 08:40AM
Hello,
Check it out. If you r constantly getting connection interruptions during game-play then here is what u need to do. If u r using a router (no matter the brand), the problem probably has to do with the router. In order to find out, disconnect your PS from the router and plug it directly into you modem. If your modem is not near your playstation then move it close to the ps3. The modem plugs directly into your cable line so there is a good chance that the television you play your PS3 on has a cable connection. One you have connected your PS to your modem press the reset button on the modem. Turn your PS on and go directly to your network settings. Click on Internet Connection Test (do not bother trying to set up a connection manually, if you do this chances are you will mess something up). If you are getting a connection then you are ready to go. There is a good chance you may never get a connection interruption again. For the time being you will be able to enjoy playing call of duty like you once did. Now u might ask what am i supposed to do with my router? I need it for my laptop, xbox, etc? Just buy a new one. Chances are the one that you have is garbage. It might have worked great at once, but hey, these things happen. I suggest doing your research and find a router that works well with gaming. I hope this works. In summary, it is not your playstation or your internet service provider that is giving you problems... It is your router... connect your PS to your router to test this theory...
Read more 
Answer
+1113
moins plus
boys and girls I have the solution!!!! after about 6 months of this same problem and searching in countless forums i have now found the answer. i too thought it was a router or ISP provider problem but no......it is a simple setting on the PS3. i dont know why but it is and I found it here if you want to double check: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124610

simply go to media server settings in your PS3 and disable the streaming media servers. i tried this and it worked immediately. no restarting or anything. i promise this works.....goodluck

s- Jul 9, 2010 03:22PM
whenever i do my playstation network test it passes the first to and fails at the playstation network connection. what do i do??
moe- Jul 16, 2010 08:47AM
help i have same problem all my friends waiting for me :'(
XxMecklovenxX- Jul 23, 2010 06:33PM
When i try to log on it says you can no longer log on to this psn account when i did nothing wrong
br549- Nov 20, 2012 11:36PM
I'm using ethernet cable and disabling the media didn't work for me. Running a decent router so I really didn't think it was the culprit. I did two things and it solved the problem and has not disconnected again after hours of game play. #1. I turned off everything and cleaned the cable ends and plug ins with alcohol dipped Q-tip. #2. I moved all electric cords away from my ethernet cable to prevent RF interference.
domonology- Nov 29, 2012 08:40AM
Thank you, this worked flawlessly
Answer
+861
moins plus
What you all need to understand is that there is no magic answer to fix these problems. In many cases a new router is NOT the answer. Most people just do not know jack shit about networking and wireless. Which is fine, however the real problem is that these console game manufacturers can't program their games online play easy enough for networking noobs. So any smuck can go hook up a wireless router and get wireless. But configuring DMZ, firewalls, understand what a port and IP is that is not stuff that typical console gamers have a clue about. Quit blaming the router manufacturers because they do a much better job.

The best help you can receive is this:
- Open necessary ports for PS3
- Open any ports used specifically by the game (which is retarded they don't use standard PS3 ports)
- If your router supports UPnP enable it (caution this is a security risk UPnP is a horrible idea)
- Make sure your wireless connection is strong

Now you might say I am being too general, "I need it step by step". Well I'm sorry to tell you, that you must figure out yourself. Reason is that everyone has a different router many from different manufacturers that have a different configuration interface.

Bottom line is if you are not able to just plug and play your PS3 games online, you either need to find a friend that can fix your problems, pay someone to do it, or learn how to do it yourself.

Perhaps not the answer you were all looking for but at least it will stop you from running around like chickens with your heads cut off.

Answer
+403
moins plus
my ps3 wont connect to the playstation network what do i do?

Answer
+252
moins plus
What about if it just keeps saying that (an error has occurred and you been signed out of ps network?)

Answer
+95
moins plus
hey thanks for the help dude that what im gonna tried and i hope that it works properly

SanjayMaru1994 on YouTube- May 7, 2010 04:56PM
Wait so if I have the NAT Type 3 problem, doing this will fix it?
rickyhelmore- May 8, 2010 03:39PM
Thanks.... It really saved my life.....
riks3140- May 8, 2010 03:46PM
I think it is a network related issues... I got similar sort of issues and got it resolved from http://playstation3slim.com they really helped me a lot...
bob- Jul 2, 2010 04:30PM
thank you so much
Ian- Oct 22, 2012 05:45PM
Yeah what if you cant move your PS3 near your router as the router is in the kitchen area and I have satellite and connect wirelessly.
Answer
+88
moins plus
Okay.
So I've been reading over the answers, but I can't seem to find the right answer.

I have a Wii and a PS3, neither of which will connect to live, at least.
I guess that's the best way to describe it.
On the PS3 the internet works PERFECTLY, but it WILL NOT let me sign in to let me play online.

I just got my PS3, and the Wii I have had for a year or two, so it's not a new thing.
I'm also not able to use things like Limewire, is there something in my internet connection that is making it so I cannot connect to anything?

I've got wireless internet, but we're using Belkin...

Can anyone help?

Answer
+66
moins plus
all u have to do is disable the media search thing its under internet connections then go all the way down and disable it then u will be able to get ur game updates if u have any questions contact me on my ps3 my name is SCARFACE535

EagleEye393- Jan 12, 2009 09:09AM
Yo i am EagleEye393 you need to get CoD4 so i can PW3N you ass
abuddslife420- Jun 6, 2010 04:15PM
hey man thanks alot! you saved me from smashing my ps3.my moden.and my rouder!!
add me and we'll game sometime - abuddslife420

Thanks again man!
moe- Jul 16, 2010 09:01AM
heeey guys help i cant sign in it tells me timed out
D4yz- Nov 5, 2012 07:05PM
Try checking if you have a system update when it starts timing you out like that.
Answer
+50
moins plus
Need Some help if any... My playstation has been workin fine.. I could get on the internet and everything... All of a sudden it won't connect to the PSN... mY INTERNET WORKS I can get connected but when i do the connectivity test... logging onto the psn just does not work i get a failed messeage... I can access the intetrnet browser surf the net every thing works fine in that aspect ...I can do all of that but can not access the PSN... So ultimately i can't play cod mw2 online... Has this happened to anyone... my email is mista_007@hotmail.com my playstation online name is mista_007 as well

rikatik- Mar 1, 2010 11:12AM
global psn network problem with older version ps3 the slim is exculded from this (thats what they say). ps is looking in to this now..
Answer
+34
moins plus
When I test my internet connection it say's my UPnP is not available and my NAT is type 3. My connection was good a few days ago. How do i fix it? i have my ethernet cable hooked up to my router or modem

crack hawk- Apr 16, 2009 06:12PM
alls you have to do is contact your router technical support and they will reconfigure your router the 1 800 number is on the back of the router box that it came in and if you do not have the box look online for number at website of name that is on router you do not have to move router or unhook it just enter its ip address in the web browser box of the main computer and it will take you into the main page of your router where the settings are and you click on settings and go to (dmz) and click on enable save settings and back out this should change nat to type 2 from type 3 which will allow you and your friends to play together if this does not work call 1 800 number do not chan ge anything else in settings or it will mess it up technical support will have to open certain ports on your router change numbers all that do not try this by yourself good luck
Mou5e- Jul 14, 2009 04:19PM
If you have type 3 then its likely the port or server youneed is restricted. (i may be wrong)
charlie- Jan 16, 2010 11:08AM
Hey there. I have the same problem with mine but on mine it goes from upnp available and nat type 2 and upnp not available and nat type 3. i got soo fed i rang sony. they gave me port numbers to give to my broad band (bt) i havnt given them the port numbers or anything cuz only got them today about 15 mins ago lol. But the numbers are only for sony things like playstation home so if u want to connect to friends on games u going to have to ring up the game company eg: activision or something and ask for the port numbers for their games. The number for sony is 08456000124 so if u give them a call they should give u the port numbers for you to tell your broadband. :)
azraelriddims- Jul 6, 2010 07:22AM
He's right. I have a DLink router and i configured it on a PS Preset that gave me the right ports so i could play online. So now it says NAT type : Free. Just contact your router tech support or if your technical about all that, check ur PS3 manual to find out what ports u need to use
Danyal_139- Jul 13, 2010 12:08PM
This what happned to me and i kept on tryin and it finally worked afta 3 days
Answer
+28
moins plus
Hey i need help my dad says the connection is fine, but when i go on my xbox360 the online gaming works but it's slow. So then i go on my ps3 and the connection tothe web works on it but the online doesn't work it says at the top right that i cant connect to the playstation network cn you please help.

raging-buck-094- Dec 22, 2008 03:31AM
i go to sign in on my playstation 3 and it says the playstation network is timed out .
jordyjo- Apr 10, 2010 01:02PM
thats exactly what mine says, and ive tried everything to fix it...
BTisshit- Apr 14, 2010 04:45PM
change your internet to sky
azraelriddims- Jul 6, 2010 07:24AM
you either need a faster connection or u need to stop using whatever downloader your using thats taking up all the bandwith. Your internet connection is shared between all your tech. Stop downloading to play then resume your downloads after.
Answer
+25
moins plus
Disabling the Media Server thing worked for me! Thanks!!!!!

Answer
+22
moins plus
dude, my ps3 works but its broken lol? it says i made too much ACCOUNTS & i tryed to do existing & it says U CANT USE PSN with this account Wat do i do?

Answer
+18
moins plus
Nice this could be definitely of a great help.

Answer
+17
moins plus
hello,
once u r done u will have connection with ur PS3

Answer
+12
moins plus
if it works well we will be cool if not then i will find another way thanks.
i really want to play mondern warfare 2 online badly but it wont let me.

Answer
+7
moins plus
what if i have a modem-router all in 1

Answer
+6
moins plus
well tell you the truth, imma 13, and my dad's router is pretty far from the tv and ps3, and imma not really allowed to move the router, what should i do?

Answer
+6
moins plus
all u have to do is disable the media search thing its under internet connections then go all the way down and disable it then u will be able to get ur game updates

Sixpack872- Dec 24, 2008 08:01AM
My Brother and i are sharing the same connection in same home to one router and we each have a ps3 console

i have 80gig he has 60gig

and we're trying to play co-op online zombies call of duty 5

but it doesn't even work for call of duty 4 either won't work for any multiplayer game same issue as below

when i invite my bro to my lobby its fine but when i join a match with him he gets kicked trying to connect to match

we have a belkin N1 Wireless Router Part # F5D8231-4 And Arris modem phone plus internet MODEL: TM502G our isp is Time Warner Cable he have a connection of 10megs down 2megs up and we're connected to ps3's wirelessly

please help me fix this problem
abcd- Jan 11, 2009 07:53AM
Go to your router home page then find where you can set UPnP and turn it off. It worked for me today and now donloads game settings immediately on both PS3's in our house for COD4 online.
darylmo- Feb 19, 2010 10:15PM
Worked great, thanks very much
MrChrisBarker- May 27, 2010 05:08AM
Perfect! - disabling the media server option worked a treat , also noticed too when after i did this the downloads were much faster (not reporting 10678 minutes to download) but they still kept hanging and giving me a connection error. looking at my network stats I noticed that my signal strength kept fluctuating from 12% - 70%, i turn my routers antena about 15 degrees round (so it was pointing to my ps3) got a stable signal of about 74% and the game update downloaded in about 2 mins - worth a look for those still having problems,
Answer
+6
moins plus
The bottom line is your router. I had to upgrade to a broadband, which I now have no interruptions. I had too many devices running off my old router. Without the broadband, your router will only stream 2.4gh. Cell phones and cordless phones are just 2 devices that use that same frequency. I spent many hours trying to find a solution. I called Sony and Linksys for help and we even opened the ports. Nothing worked until I ungraded my router. I spent about $130, but it was worth it. Good luck!

Answer
+6
moins plus
my ps3 don't work it won't play ps3 games or ps2

1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « Fixing Your PS3 Network Connection » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.