Ask a question Report

Unable to access files from 2nd hard drive [Solved/Closed]

mamagistri 2Posts Tuesday March 2, 2010Registration date March 3, 2010 Last seen - Latest answer on May 28, 2013 05:17PM
My friend’s computer only shows a blue screen with a ? mark when she boots it up. I took her hard drive (Western Digital SATA 250 g) out and installed it as a (slave) 2nd drive on my computer to see if I could get her photos and important docs off it for her. I start up my pc and then go into the BIOS. I can see both hard drives but when I start my pc, it only loads my windows xp.
I then go into “My Computer” and I can see all the files on the 2nd drive but I am unable to access windows from that hard drive. I can’t open the main file on the drive because it is password protected. I get the message “F:\Documents and Settings\MOM is not accessible. Access is denied”. I tried to access the drive directly by making it the first drive at boot up but all I get is a blue screen (which is why I have her hard drive in the first place).
Does anyone know how I can get into that folder ‘MOM’? I know what the password is but I don’t know how to get into it. All I want to do is get the pictures and important docs off it and then I am going to wipe it out and start over.
I did do a virus scan and malware check. It found over 70 viruses which I removed/quarantined. Both hard drives (the 1st and 2nd) have Windows XP Pro.
Please let me know if you need further information or if I wasn’t clear on anything.
Read more 

moins plus
You might try this procedure

In Explorer, right click the drive in question and select Properties

On the Security tab click Advanced
On the Owner tab
Select your account if it isn't already and
Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
Click OK twice (close all dialogs)

That sets you as owner of every folder and file on the drive

In Explorer, right click the drive in question and select Properties

On the Security tab add your account if it is not already there and set Full Access
Click Apply
Click Advanced
Check "Replace permission on all child objects with......"
Click Apply

rebootus maximus- Jan 31, 2013 11:10PM
I should add though, some versions of windows require booting into Safe Mode first before the security tab is shown (press f8 while booting to see safe mode menu)
Matt the Pyr0- Feb 15, 2013 07:09PM
thank you
randomstroller- May 3, 2013 10:05PM
worked like a charm, thanks
PMS Hard Drive- May 5, 2013 07:36PM
you are a god!!
champ- May 28, 2013 05:17PM
ahhhhhh yeaaah! Thanks mate
moins plus
Never mind. I figured it out. I had to disable the simple file sharing in XP Pro. NOW I can change the security settings on the drive. Thank you sooooo much! You are awesome!

Sudeku- Oct 3, 2010 12:55PM
Can you explain little bit more on it, as I am also having the same problem, that I have not been able to access the files of second hard drive. It loads only data of primary harddrive only when I start the computer where as I can see my second hard drive in BIOS. And when I right click the drive, I could not find option for security level.
moins plus
Sudeku; the trick is to open the drive letter then navigate to the Documents and Settings folder of the user documents that need to be opened. There you will find the Security tab. The Advanced button will be at the bottom right. Once on that Owner tab, you will see the checkbox for "Replace owner on...". Enjoy your day!

moins plus
xpcman.. it was a great help. thank you v much.

This document entitled « Unable to access files from 2nd hard drive » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.