Computer Shuts down no warning

Closed
Kender - Oct 11, 2008 at 04:53 PM
 city03 - Jun 21, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Hello,

My husband purchased his hardware from Tiger Direct two months ago and has built his own computer. Here are the computers specs:

Running Windows Vista
CPU: Intel E8400 776 chip
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Model: CM2X2048-6400C4DHX [800Mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.10 v] (times 4)
MOBO: EVGA 780I
HD: WESTERN DIGITAL WD5000AAKS (times 2)
GPU: BFG GTX 280 OC
SOUND CARD: SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY MODEL: SB0570
PSU: ULTRA X3 MODEL: ULT-HE1000X

He has two problems.. one he's pretty sure is a driver issue, he's occasionally getting a blue screen of death screaming about a driver problem (probably the new video card, no updates for the problem yet) The other problem is his computer will also randomly shut down. No warning, no blue screen and it doesn't restart. When he restarts it and checks his events log there is no indiciation that anything happened and it runs perfectly fine until the next time. It can sit for hours and do it... he could have it on ten minutes and it'll happen, he's been running a bunch of programs and he's been doing nothing at different times when this has happened. Every item in the computer is brand new... any ideas?

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 11, 2008 at 07:01 PM
I would check the memory. download something like "memtest". If you have two memory sticks - try running the PC with just one.

Did he overclock the processor? If so reduce or stop the overclocking .
My computer did shut down sudenly after 3 hours loading MP3. After that i went tried to restart it back the screen did not show any thing on ... i did try it on other screen but not even the keybaurd nor the mouse does start or show the lights.