XP Won't start, not even in safe mode

Solved
warrior - Oct 19, 2008 at 08:47 AM
 Thabiso - Mar 18, 2018 at 03:15 AM
Hi,

My windows XP won't start. I shutted down the computer yesterday, today when I started it it will run till the windows boot screen, when the bar reaches the end the screen will stay black and nothings happens

I tried to boot in safe mode but after loading the drivers it just stays there as well and wont go on with the boot.

I wanted to repair the system with the Windows XP CD-ROM but I'm not given the option to repair. After it starts all the devices needed, i'm presented with the partitions I have on my PC to choose in which to install windows, if I pick one I can format and install or just install.

Is there a way to run a repair or a scandisk to try and solve the problem without re instaling windows?

Really appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance
Related:

13 responses

So, I spent half a day struggling why my windows XP won't start on any of the safe modes with similar symptoms you all have been seeing. Here is what worked for me on HP pavilion.

There is an option F11 when you boot the system. It takes you to Restore manager by HP via RAM something option. Select Advanced Options for Restore Manager.

A. I first selected the option to back up my files (Photos and Personal Docs/Files) on DVD-R drive. This takes about 1.5 hr to finish but is a worth-it safety step.

B. Rebooted the system, pressed F11, and selected the option to restore system to an older time. Restored the system to 20 days ago. I had tried restoring to two days ago but saw similar problem with it. This worked like charm and kept all my documents intact.

C. There is another option to restore to factory settings and I had intended to go all the way to original factory settings, if option B had not worked. In such a case, my backup DVDs from A would have come handy to restore all my Photos/Videos/Personal files back.

So, the problem seems to be the corruption of a system file and could be attributed to any of the programs I downloaded from the Internet such as DVD Fab in the interim.

All the best.
Mesiduma
Really helpful thanks. M
Thank you,you are great