"Empty" external hard drive [Solved/Closed]

summer - Oct 6, 2010 at 07:44 AM - Latest reply:  YAS
- Oct 19, 2017 at 10:24 PM
Hello,

I have a LOT of files stored in my external hard drive, but for some reason, every time I try to access it, it says that my drive is empty. The weird thing is, if you check on its properties, the used capacity is the same - so clearly, it isn't empty yet. I really have some important files there that I don't have backup for. Help?

Thank you.

See more 

25 replies

jack4rall 6522 Posts Sunday June 6, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus December 30, 2015 Last seen - Oct 6, 2010 at 08:11 AM
+42
Helpful
Hello,

Try this 1.

Check whether files are not in hidden mode.

Click on "Start" --> In search box, type cmd and press "Enter".

Command prompt will be opened.

Here I assume your External hard drive letter as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Don't forget to replace the letter g with your External hard drive letter.

Now press "Enter".

Now check for your files in your External hard drive.

Good Luck.
Was this answer helpful?  
inalchemy 1 Posts Saturday October 20, 2012Registration date October 20, 2012 Last seen - Oct 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM
I just want to say thanks, clear and to the point and it worked. I am not computer programmer literate so your tidbit was amazing to me
Thanks for helping the command is really helpful :D
Really helpful......thanks a lot!!!
oh finally , thanks for the info
raidercraser - Oct 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM
+7
Helpful
hi. i've got the same problem as summer. any solutions?
phOshOrOfik 144 Posts Friday September 24, 2010Registration date October 30, 2010 Last seen - Oct 25, 2010 at 02:01 PM
Have you tried Jack4all solution?
i ended up using "get data back" and it found my files. I had to copy them to a new area, format my drive and put them back. pain in the ass but got all my files back. thanks for the suggestions.