Ask a question Report

My laptop wont turn on [Solved/Closed]

kels - Latest answer on Nov 16, 2012 02:00PM
i have a dell laptop. a couple of nights ago i was going on but not starting up! then last night i tried it again and it would not go on at all. do you have any solutions as to what i can do about this pleeeeeeease. Or do i need professional assisstance?
Thank you very much :-)
Read more 
moins plus
first of all as a static test i would remove the battery and power cable then hold the power button down for about 30 seconds.

insert the battery and try turning it on now.

Yoooo- May 15, 2011 02:11PM
Thank u so much
globalpyro- May 15, 2011 07:13PM
what if that doesn't work? are there any other methods or techniques that may be used to revive my laptop??
kieferschild 1941Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus October 3, 2015 Last seen - May 16, 2011 06:39AM
If this doesnt work, i'd check the power supply to make sure its still working (charger) - is there a light on it? if not it may be worth getting another one of those. you can get universal power supplies but you'd need to check on the label to see how many volts its output is. if the charger isnt the issue and the laptop doesnt power on at all (no fans spin etc) then the motherboard is dead. check if youre in warranty otherwise its a new laptop.
thehurricane- May 17, 2011 11:27AM
Wow..thanks buddy..I thought it was dead
cece97- Nov 16, 2012 02:00PM
thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
moins plus

This problem happens bcoz of current fluctuation, hope my few steps help you solve this problem.

first you need to remove battery. then hold power button for 30 sec to 1min.
then connect power cord then press power button. hope it will works.

if Not.

then make sure your power cord is in working condition, if it works fine then repeat the steps as i said, this time you need to hold power button for 2 min or more, Note :- there should not be any power supply when you are doing these steps.

thanks & regards

Legz- Apr 5, 2011 11:20AM
Worked for mine too :)
Ashfak- Apr 5, 2011 12:16PM
its my pleasure...
kieferschild 1941Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus October 3, 2015 Last seen - Apr 5, 2011 06:23PM
Ashfak, do you realise you advised the same solution i gave? i wouldnt take too much credit.
Ashfak- Apr 28, 2011 08:51PM
you Advice my solution... by the way my solution works for all... so i am get much credit.. y r u so jealous
kieferschild 1941Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus October 3, 2015 Last seen - May 10, 2011 09:54AM
If you read my solution first, you wouldnt have had to comment.
moins plus
did not work for my laptop, what am i doing wrong? followed the steps excatly even held power for 3 mins

moins plus
my power light and charging light wont power on i tried 2min but it still didnt work any suggestions

phresh120- Mar 19, 2011 01:03PM
battery still has power and power supply still works
kieferschild 1941Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus October 3, 2015 Last seen - Mar 21, 2011 04:11AM
then it sounds like a hardware issue. best thing to do is to send it back to manufacturer.
ScoobiesSpecialDoobieSnacks 12Posts Thursday March 17, 2011Registration date April 1, 2011 Last seen - Mar 25, 2011 02:22AM
I study A+ Hardware & If ya u do open ya laptop make sure you have an Anti-Static mat & put ya laptop on top of it & have got a wrist strap on and place the clip from the mat on an unpainted bit of ya laptop. Its the Amps is what will kill ya otherwise. Dont wear the Wrist strap if removing or touching ya Power Supply in the laptop. U will definetaly die from the shock. If u dont have none of them & u do open ya laptop, all it takes is for u to touch it and u shock the motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card etc with ya finger, well there might go ya hardware. So beware if ya do.
kieferschild 1941Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus October 3, 2015 Last seen - Mar 25, 2011 05:42AM
Alternatively you could leave the power supply in to earth the laptop as the average home user doesnt have anti-stat equipment. as for the A+ Student. die from shock? try a UK university.
hmmm- Apr 17, 2011 03:13PM
Also, Scoobies, it's really hard to read when you write ya instead of your. Spelling is appreciated.
moins plus

cheers ur gonna help save ppl alot of money

moins plus
thank u sooooo much

moins plus
Awesome advice it worked for me!! thank you!

Ashfak- Mar 24, 2011 08:46PM
its my pleasure... :-)
moins plus
my acer aspire has died I tryied this and still doesnt work, it turns on but the monitor just doesnt any ideas?

mijack 79Posts Monday June 28, 2010Registration date December 10, 2012 Last seen - Apr 3, 2011 11:06PM
Possible reason 1: your Acer might be going into 'Standby' mode and not coming out of it, or maybe the OS is crashing. Check the 'Power Options Properties' in the 'Display Properties > Screensaver > Power > Power Options panel'.

Possible reason 2: the capacitor has shorted in the main board. Try to look for any buldging capacitor and change it.
moins plus
Waaaaaaaa,it worked for my laptop,thx sooooooooooooooooo much!!!!

moins plus
Thank you for this. I needed it when my laptop wouldnt turn on, thank god i have internet on my iPod.

moins plus
Thanks a bunch!!! I thought I had to get a new laptop.

This document entitled « my laptop wont turn on » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.