Unmountable Boot Volume

Solved/Closed
Laszlo - Jun 12, 2008 at 04:16 PM
 MSK@% - Dec 4, 2015 at 09:45 AM
Hello,
Have the same issue as many of you...can't boot to Windows XP. Error is unmountable boot volume. Attempted to boot off CD and ran chkdsk /p - indicated "one or more unrecoverable problems". Also attempted to run fixboot...result was that "boot sector cannot be fixed". I'm guessing I may have a hard drive issue...and have documents on that I need to obtain...any help in pulling off documents? Does this sound like a hard drive issue rather than a "boot.ini" file issue?
Thanks for any help you can offer!
Related:

9 responses

I got the same problem. I have unmountable boot volume, I know how to do the steps like booting from cd and check disk but the problem is: The screen where you can change the settings to boot from wont come up (BIOS). Upon turning on the computer, it goes directly to a screen with two options: 1) start windows normally, 2) start windows restore something. I cant start it normally so I chose the other option. there was an option for checking the hardware (CPU, Memory, and HDD) but no error was found. so I tried to start the windows system restore option, but it wont start. can anyone help me please? I haven't encountered this problem before where I can't boot from CD.
Thanks.
dhavalcoholic
Dec 11, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Press Del..... or F1 as soon as the monitor information screen disappears.!!

The key for entering Bios menu is different in every PC. !!

The key is written on the first screen itself !!

Have a good time!
Fritz > dhavalcoholic
Dec 13, 2009 at 06:00 PM
Thanks. But i've been waiting for that screen to appear. I know its the first screen where all the information bout the master and slave drives and memory come out, but it doesn't appear. I'll just try to hold down those keys as soon as I turn on the computer.
Hi Tahir, thanx a lot for the above solution. It really worked and gave a great respite to me. have you been able to get the solution for removing the blue screen. pls post on this if you have..thanx once again
Sometimes its F2 also.
how did you fix this problem