Hard disk light on but not working

Closed
El - Feb 9, 2023 at 02:17 AM
Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 - Feb 13, 2023 at 01:42 AM

Hello,

I have been using this Transcend external hard disk drive however last night it wouldn’t open, the light is turned on and not blinking and also the drive makes a spinning sound. It shows it is connected but it does not show on my computer or opens via auto play. I have tried some of the solutions here like changing ports or changing laptops and also the disk manager changing the drive letter, uninstalling the mass storage on device manager and restarting all of which didn’t work however sometimes it shows to format and I can’t afford to lose my documents they are very important, please what can I do so that it works?

iPhone / Safari 15.3

Related:

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14295 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 14, 2024 1,891
Feb 9, 2023 at 06:20 AM

Hi,

Open Command Prompt as admin, type chkdsk h: /f /r /x and press Enter. Replace the letter h by the one corresponding to your external hard drive.

Hope that helps.

Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 34
Feb 13, 2023 at 01:42 AM

Hi,

You can try out the following methods:

Alternate USB Port
It is the initial point of contact. There are equal odds of damaging a USB port, which is the cause. Therefore, connect your hard drive to a different Port to determine the precise cause and determine whether the drive is the issue or not.

Clean Up Virus

The likelihood of contracting a virus is equal. The easiest way to fix it is to utilize virus removal software. It has the ability to make your disc accessible and eliminate the infection from your PC and drive.

Power supply problems or a failing HDD may be to blame if your external hard drive is not detected or functioning properly and the light is not blinking.
Examine the Power Source
Your external hard drive won't blink at all when you attach it to your computer if there is a power supply problem. Change the USB cord in

Step 1 to test the power supply.
2. Replace the USB port.
3. If it's feasible, attach your external hard drive to another computer.

If the aforementioned suggestions don't work, your hard disc is probably dead.