Please help gateway being stupid

Closed
Dan - Dec 2, 2009 at 06:26 AM
 new nv79 i5 - Mar 16, 2010 at 02:14 AM
Hello,
my gateway the past few days has been waking up from its hibernation when the lid is still closed. but when i open it, it immediately restarts itself. and i don't know why. can you help?

2 responses

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Dec 2, 2009 at 07:39 AM
hi there,

open power management in control panel and set

the actions to be done when lid is open or closed

Thanks
I just bought a new Gateway NV79 i5 430M. The problem I've encountered with the Atheros wirless was perplexing at first. But, I believe it is a matter of interference, not a problem with settings or drivers.

I set power options to do nothing when I close the lid.
I also unchecked the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option in the device settings.

Now, when I close the lid completely, the wireless goes down. However, if I place something the width of a round toothpick under the rubber pads on the lid ( the pads towards me ), the wireless stays up, though the speed drops to almost nothing. Repeated experiments revealed a correlation between the angle of the lid and the connectivity of the wireless. The closer lid gets to the keyboard, the lower my wireless speed is.

I will also add that the lid switch is tripped when the lid comes down to within approximately 3 inches from the closed position. At this point, the main screen goes blank and the separate monitor blinks off and on, (which is attached via HDMI, and is where I have the window I use to monitor the wireles speed) but there appears to be no change in the wireless associated with this event.

In summary, the closer the lid get to the closed position, the faster the wireless speed drops off. I did not notice a problem like this with my previous laptop. Does anyone have any helpfull suggestions?