Have IP but can't connect to internet

Closed
smont48 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday December 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2009 - Dec 28, 2009 at 07:46 AM
smont48 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday December 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2009 - Dec 29, 2009 at 07:20 AM
I have a Linksys SRX200 wireless router. HP computer running Windows XP.

I have been working on this problem for a day and a half and it's driving me batty.
My computer recently got hit with one of those viruses (or malware?) that pops up window that says your computer is infected with a virus and the only way to get rid of it is to purchase their antivirus application yadda yadda yadda and no matter what you do, you can't get rid of those pop up messages. I think you know the kind I"m talking about. So I did a system restore to the day before I got the virus and even tried a week before but since I've done the system restore, I cannot directly connect to the internet via a direct ethernet cable connection to the wireless routers ethernet port. I get the correct IP info, subnet, gateway, DNS info when I do an IPCONFIG but still can't connect to the internet. My wife and son can both connect to the wireless router and access the internet using their wireless connections. I am directly connected to one of the routers ethernet ports (there are 4) and still no internet. To confuse things even more, every once in awhile, I do connect to the interent and can browse for about 2 or 3 minutes then I totally lose the connection to the internet. Web pages won't display anymore. Yet all the IP info is accurate. I've rebooted the PC, modem, and router a hundred times. I've reset the router to factory defaults and re-established the wireless connection. I've done the IP release/flushdns/renew thing. I've swapped 3 or 4 ethernet cables with the same results. I have not tried directly connecting another computer to the router which is my next step. This will tell me if there is something wrong with my computer or the router I would assume.

I must add that the Port 4 link light on the router is always lit regardless of whether or not I have anything connected to it or not. If I connect my desktop computer to to ports 1 or 2 or 3, ports 1 and port 2 do not light up. Port 3 lights up when I connect to it but still no internet connection. When I use my wifes laptop which is connected wirelessly, I can browse to the router and log in but when I check the status of the ports, it says link is down for ports 1 thru 3. It says port 4 link is up, even though there is nothing connected to it. This does not change even when I reboot the router. I'm beginning to think I have a hardware problem with the ethernet ports on the router. If I take the router out of the equation completely, and directly connect my PC to the cable modem, I can get on the internet. I just don't recall whether I can continue to surf or if it too stops surfing after a few minutes or two. I'll have to try that tonight.

Lastly, I have looked up similar problems in this forum and have done the netshr commands, etc. but to no avail. I've disabled the firewall already also so that's not the problem.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

smont48 Posts 2 Registration date Sunday December 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2009
Dec 29, 2009 at 07:20 AM
OK. I connected my PC directly to the cable modem thereby bypassing the wireless router all together. I was able to surf the internet with no problem at all. So that tells me I have a problem with the wireless router. So I reconnected the wireless router to the modem and my pc to the wireless router and I can pull an IP address but still can't get on the web. I tried manually setting my IP address and no good. I' tried using IP addresses instead of URL's in my browser and no luck. I have McAfee Virus Scan and when I look at my network thru there Manage Network tool it shows the wireless router with IP 192.168.1.1 but a red "x" on the line drawn from the router to the internet...ie, no internet connection. When I plug my ethernet cable into ports 1 or 2 on my wireless router I get no link lights. On ports 3 and 4 I do get link lights. But still no connection to the internet. On the very occasion, when I reboot the modem, router and PC, I do get on the internet but only for a very short amount a time.....a few minutes. And then, I just simply loose the connection. It's like the internet connection just drops after a few minutes.

I've been at this for 2.5 days and I"m done. I already ordered a new router. But I'm stubborn and I am still curiious as to what is wrong with my ethernet ports on the wireless router. I'm wondering if there is anyway to diagnose problems with the router's ethernet ports??????