Wireless connection keeps dropping

Solved/Closed
jules_santana - Updated on Jun 17, 2018 at 01:04 PM
 gues - Sep 26, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire 3410 laptop.
And my internet connection is Belkin54g with AT&T connection.

My internet keeps dropping about every 5 minutes and then disconnects for about 3 minutes then reconnects. and every 4 or 5 times it happens it'll just say Limited/or No Connection with a little warning sign next the wirelessconnection button next to the clock.

Oh yeah and also, When I try to 'repair' my wireless connection it says it cannot be completed and to make sure my network adapter is properly installed.

This has been happening for about a year and its killing me!

Can someone helpmeplease?

3 responses

I may have an answer - first of all I am not a computer expert - I have been having the same problem with my lap top and wireless connection - I am running VISTA. It has been driving me crazy. I did a google search looking for answers but nothing I read seemed to fit my computers configuration, however while looking at my configuration I found something interesting that seems to have worked.

If you go to control panel - network connections - right click on the wireless connection and choose properties.
click on the Configure button - under "Power Management" there was a tick in a box beside the comment "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" I removed the tick and saved. Since doing that my connection has not dropped off once.

It has only been one day but since the connection was dropping every 5-10 minutes, sometimes reconnecting on it's own and sometimes I had to manually reconnect I am feeling very hopeful.
Very helpful - thank you!
thank you so much this was very helpful. It worked on my toshiba laptop running windows 7 :)
Brilliant.

Thank you Sarah.
Thank you... hope this works.... I had been getting a battery warning too but didn't worry about it since my laptop was plugged in and doesn't move too often.
Thanks
I should probably copy and paste this so that I don't have to type it some many times to spread the word.

We had the same problem. Acer, HP, Lenova and Toshiba laptops with a Linksys (3 different ones as it is cheaper to buy a new one than to purchase support) and then NetGear router. Connected every time we booted, and sometimes several hours (or sometimes minutes) before the Limited or No Connectivity would raise its' ugly head. The Linksys's would lose connectivity every 5 minutes or so and ALWAYS in the middle of something that I did not want to lose while saving to a server.

Several dozens of hours and hundred of dollars in support costs - replaced the Linksys router twice (I will never purchase anything Linksys again) - replaced the NetGear router (talk about lousy support) - replaced the modem - replaced cables - upgraded and/or replaced drivers - and the list goes on and on.

If you search the web for something like - keep losing wireless connection (90,000 finds on Google) - or - wifi keeps losing connection (10,100,000 NOT A TYPO) you will see all kinds of 'fixes', most of which take an advanced degree. I tried a LOT of them.

So I got this notice that Norton Anti-Virus was going to expire and I am miffed at them anyway as another subscription on another computer got renewed 4 times though their automatic system so that I have over 1,400 days paid and they refused to credit my card or 'spread' that out among the other computers - SOOOO - I uninstalled Norton on the expiring laptop - download the Free version of Avast (which found 6 files (missed by Norton) with attachments that were never opened (fortunately) and it has been over a month since I have had the problem.

While I hate to say the fault is Norton, by elimination that is what I am doing. We also eliminated the problem on the only McAfee machine and the problem stopped there as well.

I have since loaded Avast on each computer that was having a problem and not a single one has experienced the issue since - as well as booting and running faster than they used to.

I have no involvement with Avast other than being more than Satisfied and will be upgrading to the Paid version on each machine because I am happy!
thank you. it worked just perfect to my dell inspiron 14r-3450