'Open with' message=Worm of death?

Solved/Closed
ifmycomputergetstankediwillkillsomebody - Apr 5, 2010 at 05:41 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 9, 2010 at 05:16 AM
I will try to recount every detail....
Friday, April 2, 2010, at around 8:00-9:00 P.M.
I was watching TV, and my brother was on the computer. (He was probably either playing Solitaire or browsing YouTube. He calls me over, and I see a dozen or so popups about some Trojan virus (Ah, crap...). My gut instinct tells me to just back away and not do anything. I had a virus of my own at that time, so I went downstairs and watched TV/slept for 45 minutes to an hour. When I go back upstairs to go to bed, I turn of the computer via the power button.

Saturday, April 3, 2010, sometime around 10:00-11:00 AM.
The computer has no immediate problems from what I can tell. Upon starting Firefox, it asks me what I want to open it to. I find "Firefox" on the browse menu, and go about my web browsing. It is running fine; there are no problems with any of the sites that I regularly visit. This problem is still there.

Today.
I did some research, thinking my computer was just having one of those days where it wants to be irritating. Apparently....it has to do with the Trojan virus thing. Super. Just my luck. I see about a million different solutions, most of which are confusing.

Any information that might help someone help me with this:
-I can open Firefox but I have to do that annoying "Open with" crap every time.
-I cannot find my virus protection programs (for lack of a better phrase) on the bar by the clock on the computer.
-My virus protection is Norton, and mcAffe.

Please tell me this isn't the huge worm I've been hearing of...l

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 6, 2010 at 07:13 AM
Hello,

First, I must tell you that when you run Mcafee and Norton at the same time, you may as well say that you do not have any protection whatsoever. I suggest, when you get rid of the virus that you remove the worst of the two, Norton.

Now please follow these instructions carefully. Once completed, I would appreciate your feedback for this took me a lot of typing.

You must kill the processes which the virus is presently running. If you don't it will keep reproducing the files for ever.

To kill the processes:

Download to your desktop and run Rogue Kill:

https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

5.You should now see a window that shows all of your desktop icons, including the rkill.com program. Now double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Security Tool and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by Security Tool when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate Security Tool . So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running.

Please, DO NOT REBOOT your computer or the evil processes will come back to haunt you!

Download to your desktop Malwarebyte.

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Once on your desktop, we must still outwit the virus.

Right click on the MBAM icon and click on rename. Rename it Explorer.exe.

Install Malwarebyte and launch it. From the second tab, update it.

Pretty please, request a FULL system scan which should take more than hour. Once the scan is finish, delete all of item that were found.

Once your computer is clean and working normally just to be on the safe side
*Turn off system restore and wait 30 seconds,
*Turn it back on and create a new restore point.

This way it gets rid of anything bad that might have gotten saved in a restore point and you have a clean restore point to use in the near future if needed.

good luck
try avg 8 for torjoan virusvirus and its free
thankyoumrpersonwhotypedouthelongassyetextremelyhelpfulpost
Apr 8, 2010 at 09:45 PM
THANK YOU IT WORKED! NOW I DON'T HAVE TO THROW MY COMPUTER OUT THE WINDOW! =D
here, heres everything i have on me right now as thanks.
-McDonalds receipt, dated 4/8/10. Order Number 353, eat in. 3 piece chicken select meal, bottled water.
-Those small packets of tissues that fit in your pocket. Package is green, has 3 tissues left.
-A pen, with a cap that has been chewed on.
-A list of vocab words I had to define for my economics class. All are checked off.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 9, 2010 at 05:16 AM
You are totally welcome

I am overwhelmed! I will take the 3 tissues to wipe the tears off my face.